quinatt

Single Layer Card Slots

Hi guys, Ive seen this question asked before but the answer didnt get answered. sorry if the answer is somewhere I didnt see.

I have a guy wanting a wallet with slit pocket slots like shown below. I dont understand how they work. what keeps the top cards from sliding down too far. with stacked card slots, you can fix each layer so that the card slides down only how far you want it, but with a single layer, i dont see how that would work.

If someone can explain how that works i would appreciate it. i would hate to turn the guy down but i dont want to make something that is not functional.

i wondered that. and glued the fabric instead of stitching on the backside.

thats not something im gonna mess with lol

still wondering if thats the only option

It's usually a single piece of either fabric, ribbon, Tyvek that's folded up in an accordion. Put it over the back of the top slot, fold it over and up to the second slot, and so on so that the fold is what holds the card in place. Ribbon and Tyvek will last longer than fabric.

nice, that makes sense. thanks man you always answer my questions pretty quickly.

do you need to glue the material to the bottom lip of each slot so that when you go to put the card in, it doesnt miss the fold and slide down to the next one down or to the bottom?

this is actually a pretty cool design. i dont like the idea of using these other materials though.

Thanks for asking this, I'd wondered too :) Hadn't really thought of fabric, I'm not a big fan of working with it :P but this I might try.

Yep, you can stitch it on there as well. I haven't done it myself because I have it in my head that a "leather" wallet should be leather. But, many of the legends do it. Peter Main is actually the one who suggested wide ribbon with contact cement holding it in. Remember, there should also be a "liner" behind it for whatever cash pocket that's there, which will also hold everything in place and hide the ribbon.

I've used cloth for slots before. But I stich each slot into place on the face of the leather. Rob

I have done this with fabric, and I prefer to stitch it. I always worry that the glue just won't hold. The fabric I prefer is a polyester lining fabric that I found at Hobby Lobby. I couldn't find it at any of the other fabric shops where I live. I like the ribbon idea, but I prefer the fabric to be the width of the card slot. If I find ribbon wide enough and still really thin, I may give it a try.

If I find ribbon wide enough and still really thin, I may give it a try.

They usually have some at China-Mart and craft stores.

The cloth might traditionally be sewed or glued under a rolled edge for each slot.

You don't need to stitch anything to the leather to line the slots you're showing. You can glue in a silk or nylon taffeta liner.

Make an accordion by folding your taffeta to the depths you need to hold your cards (horizontal or vertical). Lightly press to hold your folds.

Machine stitch the top of each fold. You want them to hold flat to the back of the leather when you glue up.

Machine stitch up both sides to hold your folds in place before you glue up.

Fold the top of the top and bottom slots over 1/4" and stitch them in the same manner as the other folds to hide the raw edge before gluing so that the taffeta doesn't unravel anywhere visible.

Glue your construction onto the back of your slotted piece by covering the flesh side with Barges and then gluing your accordion section by section to the spaces between your slots and then down the sides adjacent to your slots.

The piece you're showing will give you a ton of gluing area to make sure your slot liners don't move.

Look at some men's and women's wallets at Neiman's, Sak's, Barney's, etc. to see how they're constructing them. Luxury pieces may be constructed with the taffeta or other liner covering some kind of structure like stiff thin leather (or cardboard).