lydian8

Hello From Newb In Pa

Hi, I love to work with my hands. I've been working in metal jewelry for some time, but I've had to find alternative methods as the price of silver has gone crazy. I stumbled into leather this December and fell in love with it. I attached a pic of a couple templates I made. They're very simple, but I really enjoyed working in leather. I'm hooked. I want to really get into leather work, particularly carving. I picked up a book to get started, but I'm not sure of several things. I've never sharpened a kitchen knife, let alone a swivel knife, nor do I know the best tools to purchase. After reading some things on this site, I'm not even sure if I should go ceramic over metal. I live close enough to a Tandy store, but I get the feeling that they don't always have the best tools. The more I read about carving, the more I think it's something I need to watch in action and something it would be good to get immediate feedback on as I learn. Anyway, I have loads of questions. I'm hoping if any of you can point me in a direction or give me some helpful hints, you'll take the time. I'd be most appreciative. Here's to hoping that I don't drive anyone to drink.

Lenore

post-48443-0-64598500-1389039505_thumb.j

Hi Lenore! I have the same passion and I can help a bit with the tools and the tooling. If you are truly interested in learning, this website is a great resource. Its where I started, as I'm sure many others have. I found the best way to carve is to carve. You will learn a ton from trying it yourself, and you will better understand any instruction you do get if you have tried it a bit. There are many classes available at the various trade shows, and I highly recommend going to one if you can. At the top of the forums Page, you will find a section by Paul Burnett. He is deceased, but he passed on a TON of valuable material on how to carve. Check it out. You won't be disappointed.

Tools: Where do I start? But the best tools you can afford. There is a WIDE gap in the types of tools available and some can be had for a reasonable price, others are downright expensive. Swivel knives: The one that comes in the basic kit is functional but barely. I found mine to be a better paperweight than a knife. Look at Barry King, or the new Tandy Pro line for a good, reasonably priced knife. Look at Leather Wranglers, Chuck Smith or other custom makers for an amazing swivel knife experience. Some people love ceramic, but I find I prefer the blade shaped by the makers I mentioned over the Tandy ceramic blades. Plus, i you ever drop a ceramic blade, you'll need a new one.

Feel free to ask questions, that's what we're here for.

Mike

Hello Lenore and welcome to the forum. Nice work you have there.

Mike, Thanks for the welcome. I've been looking into the companies you mentioned. I appreciate the help.

King's X, You are very kind. Thanks.

Lenore