jtron5

Any Saddle Lac Help Would Be So Appreciated.

Hey all, having serious issues with saddle lac. I know it is not the preferred finish for many, but I need a super high gloss here. I've been using the light multiple coat approach, but all of a sudden I'm seeing lots of grey spots (as in the picture). Any advice would be be awesome!photo_21.jpg

Edited by jtron5

Tough to be sure from your picture, but it looks like your nozzle may be partially clogged. Hold the can upside down and spray for a couple of seconds. This will clear any liquid from the nozzle (you'll see it stop). Store it like that. When you get ready to use it, spray just a second or two over a trash can or board (like, anything NOT your project). Maybe that's a primer? Spray what you need to spray (light coats is correct). When done, again, spray upside down until cleared.

The stuff hardens, idea is to have it harden somewhere NOT in the nozzle. And most foks spray way too much of it. A 13 oz can (I think is what they are) should last about .. oh --- 100 years, unless you're spraying multiple projects every day.

Note there is now another 'version' of Saddle-Lac, with more gloss than before. I bought the "extra" glossy by mistake (didn't look as I grabbed), and I don't care for it. Other stuff I've used for years.

Hi There

I use Saddle Lac all the time. It is great for a very water resistant finish but is prone to cracking as most lacquers are so I put in on very thin by spraying on a scrap of shearling and quickly rubbing it on. Sometimes I do two thin coats but only if I must. If you go to the saddle makers forum and research how they apply neat lac etc. you will get more info. I use the same technique.

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Toolingaround