Pounder

Plastic Dust Covers

I have a Cowboy 227R that I cover with a large plastic bag type container when not in use. I have slit the back of this bag to allow the thread to hang as usual. Recently I was told this was bad for the machine due to moisture. I keep the machine regularly oiled (every time I use it) but with all the other dust created in my shop, i.e. sanding leather, polishing metal, etc., I am more concerned with the dust. I have a dehumidifier as my shop is in my basement.

Anyway, is there anything to this, should I create cloth cover for it or just leave it out there.

Most of my machines set out without anything over them some for 20 plus years that i have had them with no problems. I have a couple that drape a old T shirt over just because it is real dusty buy them.

I employ a dust eating cat to lick the dust off of my sewing machines. It's a win win situation, sort a kind of.

Hello:

If you were in a very humid basement, and the machine were subjected to extremes of cold, then warmth, then I could see where a plastic dust cover would be a problem. The machine body is made of cast iron, and so it will sweat if the ambient temps were to get very warm all of a sudden (IE -- you open outside cellar door on a warm day when working with dies or something.)

It would be very easy to make a dust cover out of fabric and use this for the sewing machine.

Or, you could cut some small holes (just a few -- and very small) into the plastic cover to allow the machine to breath.

Hope this helps.

Hello again:

We have seen on some of the 441 clones that the back shafts on the machine can rust when the machine is in cold and humid climates. I would make sure that you apply a thin coat of oil to all of the shafts on the machine and also the unprotected metal parts.

Sewing machines are like guns, they will rust if not oiled and maintained properly.

Hope this helps.

Edited by neelsaddlery