TXAG

Type 1 - 4 Pass Pineapple Knot

Here's the one I was working on straight off the dowel w/o any dressing/tightening. I pulled the 4th pass out (not seen in pic) because it got too tight. Mine is black and gold for my daughters school, University of Central Florida, where she's graduating in April w/honor's. Whoo Hoo. Anyway, this is a 25 part x 24 bight, 3 Pass, Type 2 Pineapple Knot with a 9p x8b Turks Head Primary knot. This means there are two (black) 9p x 8b THs and one (gold) 7p x 8b TH.

That is neat...

How would you go from that to a 32p x32b, 4 Pass, Type 2 Pineapple Knot? I'm not even sure I understand how to get to where you are in the pic above...I'm so confused. :(

Also, I thought the original one I was trying to do was a Type I Pineapple Knot...when I tried the type 2, the ends didn't close up and there were bights on the outside of the ends...I didn't like it at all...

Still quite confused...:(

Edited by TXAG

To get to the 32p x32b, 4 Pass, Type 2 Pineapple Knot, I would need to add one more 7p x8b ( gold) pass, the top 7p x8b in the chart on post# 17

In the 4 pass knot you tied, all your interweaves, the 2nd, 3rd and 4th passes, are nested inside the left and right boundaries of the first pass 9p x 8b Primary knot. Mine has the 2nd pass inside the left hand boundary of the Primary 1st pass but goes outside the Primary 1st pass's right hand boundary. This is how you get the 2 brown zig zags, or /\/\/\, for the symmetrical look you wanted that your knot doesn't have (only one brown zig zags, or /\/\/\, at the top of the knot). The chart in post# 17 shows the Primary 9p x 8b on the bottom. The 9p x 8b just above it shows it's right side going past, or outside, the lower ones right hand boundary. It's really hard for me to try to explain, but I hope it helps some.

The bights on the ends should close up the same on a Type 2 as they do on a Type 1 PK, There's no difference at the ends.

Ok.

Well, is there any way you might be able to at least start me out with the overs and unders on that last pass, please? And if you can, do I just make the 4 pass type 1 like before and add that final pass then?

Or is there a tutorial for the type 2 to cover the first four passes that I could use?

Going to look in the tom hall book some more...maybe some of it will sink in one day...

Tie the first pass the same way as before, then you need to change your second pass. Start it the same but keep going past the first brown pass. Your third and forth pass will be the same.

There is a tutorial but it's for a smaller 7p x6b Primary knot, which will only give you 4 (white color) zig zags and not the 6 white zig zags. You only need it for the second (brown) pass because only the brown 2nd strand goes outside the Primary knot's right hand side boundary. Your 2nd and 3rd white passes will be nested inside the left boundary of the brown 2nd pass and inside the right boundary of the 1st brown pass. It should help, just follow with extra O U's until the end. I think you can figure this out. The knot you tied, think about it, if you took away the 1st brown pass, just pull it out, now you have a brown, a white and a 2nd white pass. It's a 21p x 24b, 3 pass, Type 3 knot where each pass goes outside the right hand boundary of the knot under it.. So on the new knot, tie the 2nd strand the same way you did on these. The only difference is it will be a 9p x 8b instead of the 7p x8b. I hope this makes sense.

Tut for the second string/pass/strand:

http://pineappleknot...g-90281932.html

Edited by skyout

Thanks so much for that!! I am going to sit down and try to tackle this again tonight with your info above. Thanks again!

Good luck, I think you'll do great!

If you cut the knot in half, each line is one part. Here's one I drew up a long time ago and never tied yet. I numbered all the parts to give you an idea of how they're counted. This interweave is shown in 3 passes but could easily be tied in one pass like the photo, then you'd have to rename the knot. I saw this knot here, another great site: http://www.deadringer.com.au/

deadringer.jpg

deadringer1.jpg

post-13360-0-80265800-1391054191_thumb.j

post-13360-0-41519800-1391056155_thumb.j

Edited by skyout

OK, I had to use a ping pong ball as it was the only thing I had close to the right size and it was a little large, so I added a 3p x 8b. This is not finished and only tightened up one time around. I wish I'd gotten it centered on the ball better. I think the ping pong ball will collapse if I try reorienting the knot now. The bottom pic shows the pole to show you the Type 2 acts the same way as the Type 1 as it's being tightened up.

28 part x 32 bight, 4 Pass, Type 2 Pineapple Knot with a 9p x8b Turks Head Primary knot

ljb4.jpg

7ay6.jpg

Edited by skyout