For a couple of chaps, if you have these measures of the customer:

thigh: 24"

mid-thigh: 21"

knee: 17,5"

In your experience, what should be the corresponding measures of leather? Normally, what are the proportions between the measures of the leg and measures of leather?

I hope you can understand, despite my bad english

Thanks

Gianni

Hello Gianni,

I understand your measurements and there are a couple of things to consider when making your chaps. First how are the legs going to fasten, with buckles or zippers, or snaps, etc. When you've decided how they will fasten then take into consideration your leather, how thick is it. If it's heavier you may want to allow a little extra as it will not "give" as much as a lighter weight leather. After that I make a paper pattern of the leg out of brown kraft paper. I get this in rolls at the local hardware supple store, I'm not sure what you have available. Depending on the style of chaps you are making the next step will vary on how to lay out your measurements. Rather than have a message that is a mile (kilometer) long if you can let me know the type you are planning on making I can explain the steps I use for that type and it won't take you all day to read it.

Hope I can be of some help,

Cody

And I'm getting a post in here, . . . so I can follow what is going on.

I've only made a couple pair, . . . and I can use all the help I can get too.

May God bless,

Dwight

Icutcows2, I just read your message now.

I do have a couple of Chaps closed with a zip. My problem is that the customer is quite far away and I have to get them without realizing how his body will be. So it is important that I do a good job the first time around.

Thank you for your interest, you are very kind

Gianni