Sjohnsone

Is There A Good "generalist" Machine?

Hi there,

I've been saving up for a machine for a bit now and I'm curious if anyone could recommend a machine that has the widest range of ability, whether it be new or old.

The leather weight I typically use is anywhere from 2 - 6 oz. I make bags, wallets, belts, etc.

I'd like the ability to do garment leather at some point; however i'm pretty sure i'd need a different machine alltogether for that.

Thanks for your time,

Seth

Hmmm thats my name too! lol

Seth;

You definitely will need a different machine for sewing garment leather. For very thin leather, like maybe 3 - 4 ounces, a straight stitch machine with a roller foot, or a even flat Teflon foot will be your daisy.

I use an ancient Singer 31-15, equipped with a roller foot and a single row feed dog combination for garment leather projects. When I need to sew cloth, I change it back to a medium hole plate and matching multi-row feed dog. The machine now has a servo motor that allows for easy speed control.

These machines work best with thin thread, not exceeding #69 bonded nylon/polyester, or #80 jeans thread. They are used in garment making, dry cleaning and tailor shops around the World. Almost every industrial sewing machine company makes several types of straight stitch machine, many of which can use standard replacement and accessory parts. They are usually limited to sewing about 3/16 inch of material under the foot, depending on the needle and presser foot in use.

If your work involves slightly firmer leather, like might be used in cell phone cases, wallets, chaps, vests and jackets, a flat bed, upholstery grade walking foot machine is best. The Consew 206RB-5 is highly recommended for this type of work, especially if it is equipped with a Family Sew FS-550 motor, or newer. These machines typically use bonded thread in sizes 69, 92 and 138, and once in a while, maybe #207 on top and 138 in the bobbin. They usually are able to sew through 3/8 inches of medium temper leather, jeans, webbing, etc.

Some walking foot machines can be modified, or custom ordered, to sew thin, soft garment leather without problems. Contact our member-dealers to see what they can offer you in this category.

That's awesome, awesome information.

Thank you for taking the time to write that! I'll start looking for dealers close(ish) to me.

Good news for me. I think the Toledo Industries folks are just a hop and a skip away from me in Long Beach!

Edited by Sjohnsone

Hi Seth. I am in Ontario Cal. Thanks, Steve

Wiz's recommendation about the Consew 206RB is pretty spot on. That's a pretty popular and easy to find machine and will handle leather of your weight quite well.If you have a bit more money to spend, I would suggest something like a Pfaff 335 though. It can basically sew everything the Consew class of machine can and it is a cylinder bed which is helpful if you sew bags. You can get flatbed attachments made for them (which will cost about $250 extra. I had one made by a local machinist) but that will let you sew flat items and three dimensional items well.

The only thing is that they are quite a bit more expensive.

Andrew

That's awesome, awesome information.

Thank you for taking the time to write that! I'll start looking for dealers close(ish) to me.

Good news for me. I think the Toledo Industries folks are just a hop and a skip away from me in Long Beach!

Seth, Unless you have really long legs for a hop and skip , I think Toledo is farther than you may think. They're in OH.