random5000uk

Stitching Leather

Hey everyone, I'm just starting out working with leather. I've got some low ounce leather to start working with, and a bucket of ideas for stuff I wanna do. But I don't know what what stitches I should be using or the best thread.

Thank you for any advice you can impart to me.

Lee

I would recommend a saddle stitch, you can find tutorials here on how to do it. I highly recommend a diamond shaped hole puncher (looks like a fork). As far as thread, you want something waxed to make it slide through the leather easier. I personally prefer artificial sinew to sew with, though there are probably many who would disagree with that... Good luck!

Go to this thread and watch Nigel Armitages videos on saddle stitching http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=44874&hl=%2Bsaddle+%2Bstitch+%2Btutorial

I would alos read the whole thread there are other videos attached and information that is exchanged. Use what ever thread gives you ther look you want wether it's sinew, waxed nylon, waxed linen etc. Many of use use a diamond awl for making the stitching holes some use pricking irons or pricking chisels, use what works for you.

I'm pretty sure saddle stitch is the style I've seen online (where you use 2 needles) but that seems a little overkill to me. The leather I've got I think is only 2-4 ounce, whereas with the examples I've seen so far all are thicker leathers to what I have.

Saddle stitch is used when doing lighter leather like for wallets as well. However you can use lighter thread. This is the way that it is done by most makers. When you put two thicknesses together you will bw dealing with 4- 8oz. Saddle stitch is very apropriate. If you have a better way go for it. It is not so important how you do it, what is important is if it works. WIth the saddle stitch you have thread being pulled aginst both sides giving you a strong seam. It is proven and works quite well. Wether I am sewing a lightweight business card holder or a holster saddle stitch is what i use.

Edited by camano ridge

Thank you everyone, I'll try out my stitching skills tonight then and see how things go.