farmtrain

Reflective Paint Or Dye

So this may be a little out there, since I am very new to leather. I have used the search function here on the forum, and at google.com, just wanted to clarify.

Does any one know of, or have input on the use of a reflective paint or dye? I am assuming that a dye doesn't exist due to the way it works with the leather. But I feel like an acrylic paint that is reflective should exist?

I am wanting to use them for some of my projects that a public safety related.

Any insight or pointing in the right direction would be so so appreciated!

If you dye then mask the area well, maybe the Krylon Reflect-A-Lite stuff will work. You might also consider using glow in the dark paints as well. They get pretty bright under direct light at night and might enhance the reflective paint a little.

Depending on what you need reflective you could over lay some reflective tape or pieces from a vest I wonder how paint would hold up over time

Edited by Turn n Burn

Thanks! I have thought about tape or lettering, but really want an all leather style. I am mainly looking at making lettering reflective.

I appreciate the feedback so soon!

Well, I might have a solution.... Adding those little retroreflective microspheres to the paint. After I get some help picking an airbrush I'll try it out and post a picture in case anyone wants to see.

Thanks for the help/advise!

look up foxfire paint. It is a product that is glow in the dark paint for firefighters. I am not sure if it will bind to leather well but its worth looking at. I am a firefighter and I have one of their helmet band and it will glow for a long time. Let us know how it turns out. I am very interested.

I was thinking about foxfire for some applications, I too am a firefighter. I will definitely let you know what I find out with my venture!

Old thread, but I was wondering if any of you made out with a suitable glow in the dark application? I was considering this solution that is essentially glow in the dark powder that can be mixed into acrylics. The green has the longest glow time, however it does not speak to if it has a shelf life. The video recommends mixing with light colors and or use a light background with a mixed clearcoat to increase reflectivity. Anyhow, I started down this path today and got a small bottle of the paint on acrylic stuff out of curiosity. I havent had a chance with foxfire's solution, but id venture to say the results might equally be pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZarSTpkF2pw