ryan

Hair on hide chinks

I finally got these done today. I have over 600 1/4" Brass spots into them. Let me know what you think, and as always, I'm open to suggestions / critiques.

Thanks

Ryan

haironchinksdeck.jpg

haironchinkspost.jpg

haironscloseup.jpg

post-5181-1200951774_thumb.jpg

post-5181-1200951794_thumb.jpg

post-5181-1200951810_thumb.jpg

Very nice - I like that brindle hide and the basketstamping looks great. Are they for working or for show? (Obviously they could be used for either or both, but it would seem that a benefit of chinks would be that they are cooler, but the hair on would make them warmer, so I am just curious about their purpose. Are chinks made short to be cooler or for some other purpose?)

robert

wow, now thats a lot of work Ryan. Nice job.

way to go!!! :thumbsup:

Bob :cowboy:

ok heres a question where do you find the tool to do the round edge on the trim with the spots on? I know of the rosette tool but to do a straight length of it what or where or how do you do that edge? I think i know but like to hear from you. beautiful work love them.

ok heres a question where do you find the tool to do the round edge on the trim with the spots on? I know of the rosette tool but to do a straight length of it what or where or how do you do that edge? I think i know but like to hear from you. beautiful work love them.

Broncobuster,

I just use an old 3/8" punch that's in rough shape and grind off one side. I suppose you mess up the temper by doing it this way and they don't last very long but it gets me by. I haven't had a chance to order a 3/8" round strap end punch which would serve the same purpose and last longer.

Ryan

Very nice - I like that brindle hide and the basketstamping looks great. Are they for working or for show? (Obviously they could be used for either or both, but it would seem that a benefit of chinks would be that they are cooler, but the hair on would make them warmer, so I am just curious about their purpose. Are chinks made short to be cooler or for some other purpose?)

robert

This pair was for my farrier and I'm not sure what he'll be using them for but it's the second pair I've made for him (and no he won't be using them while he's trimming horses :rolleyes: ). I attathced a pic of the last pair I made him. Hopefully someone with more knowledge on leggings will chime in since my experience with chaps and chinks is fairly limited. Besides, a Minnesotant educating a Texan on leggings might cause the sky to fall or something :rolleyes: . I am unsure as to the reason chinks are shorter but it's my experience that they are probably more comfortable to ride in being you don't have the extra leather below the knee. Having never rode in shotguns, I can't say for sure though. I suppose they would be a bit cooler and considerably lighter - maybe a bit easier to get on too! After being kicked in the shins by plenty of calves, I would much rather be wearing shotguns when working cattle on the ground though! On a horse, I would probably opt for chinks.

BLACK_CHINKS3.jpg

post-5181-1200968006_thumb.jpg

Ryan,

A few different versions of the origin of chinks. There is even some debate over which Spanish word the term "chink" is bastardized from. Easier to move in, cooler, traditionally worn in warmer or less brushy country. Not as regional as they used to be, although many of the guys introducing Wades to the world wear shotguns. Go figure.

I like your chinks. You are now a pro at setting spots. That had to be fun. I make my scalloping punches like you do, too. I even have some half rounds I made from up to 1-1/4" punches. Looking in the background, I think your pet deer must be frozen. Doesn't seem to have moved in the different pictures. So, where are you at up there? I lived in Albert Lea for a while as a kid. My wife is from northern MN. Only thing I miss is icefishing.

Very Very nice, I also like the Bindle hide.

Ken

Ryan,

A few different versions of the origin of chinks. There is even some debate over which Spanish word the term "chink" is bastardized from. Easier to move in, cooler, traditionally worn in warmer or less brushy country. Not as regional as they used to be, although many of the guys introducing Wades to the world wear shotguns. Go figure.

I like your chinks. You are now a pro at setting spots. That had to be fun. I make my scalloping punches like you do, too. I even have some half rounds I made from up to 1-1/4" punches. Looking in the background, I think your pet deer must be frozen. Doesn't seem to have moved in the different pictures. So, where are you at up there? I lived in Albert Lea for a while as a kid. My wife is from northern MN. Only thing I miss is icefishing.

Bruce,

I had to read your post about three times til I got the frozen deer thing! You have to give me credit though, it was about 10 below when I took the pictures so I wasn't concerned too much about the background! I bet you don't miss the cold. I just got home from ice fishing and you're not missing much there either. My wife and I live in Guthrie which is just South of Bemidji and about 3.5 hours N of Minneapolis. We grew up here and love it but often fanasize about moving down to Texas. We plan on getting down there one of these days to take the honeymoon we never really took! It would be hard to leave MN though; I would miss the scenery, hunting, and fishing and they treat their cops pretty good too!! Thanks for the kind words and all the knowledge you have shared with everyone on the forum thus far.

Ryan

Besides, a Minnesotant educating a Texan on leggings might cause the sky to fall or something :rolleyes:

LOL!

come on down anytime - you'll fit in great.

" We grew up here and love it but often fanasize about moving down to Texas."

Cold front blew in today in Central Texas, knocked the temp. from around 60 down to a frigid 40 degrees. Heck we may have some frost on the windows in the morning. :) Gotta love Texas in the winter. I'll remind myself of that when it's 110 with 90% humidity in the summer.

Those look charp. I am going to be making my first pair for a friend. Do you make your own fringe? I had searched images and found some where the fringe was cut into the hide like other chaps. What are your thoughts on that?

Ryan,

Looks like we think alike Bruce! I was wondering about that deer also.

Ryan, you did a nice job on those chaps. As for around here most guys/gals that wear chinks just like the shorter ones cause they can walk around in them easier. Personally I like the old batwing style myself.

Bob