codywms

Safety Clutch Question On A Singer 111W155

Hi everyone,

I had a question for the group here before I haul my machine across town to get worked on.

Yesterday while I was sewing, I hit the pedal after I had removed my material, causing a jam. This has happened before, but this time the safety clutch was popped. By this I mean that when I turned the handwheel the bobbin and gears remained stationary while the needle and needle bar moved.

I see the procedures to reengage the clutch (hold down the right button on the deck, turn the wheel away from you) but when I do that, the clutch doesnt click back into place. I'm assuming that the notched part of the clutch clicks into the cut part of the driveshaft, but when I rotate the handwheel nothing clicks into place.

Can anyone help? I hope that I'm doing something wrong, since I'd rather not lose several days of productivity getting it repaired.

Thanks!

Another method is to take a piece of leather to protect the bottom shaft, then clamp a vise grip on the shaft. Turn the wheel away from you, making sure that you've cleared the jam. When you come to the stop of the clutch, give it an extra bump in case your clutch is sticky. It should snap back into place. It's ok to lube the clutch unit with oil.

Regards, Eric.

Simple thing but are you making sure the take up lever is all the way up before you try and remove the work?

Another method is to take a piece of leather to protect the bottom shaft, then clamp a vise grip on the shaft. Turn the wheel away from you, making sure that you've cleared the jam. When you come to the stop of the clutch, give it an extra bump in case your clutch is sticky. It should snap back into place. It's ok to lube the clutch unit with oil.

Regards, Eric.

Thanks Eric! I found the problem with it sliding back into place -- at some point in the machine's history, the tang that holds the clutch in place, allowing it to click back had been removed. A well=placed screwdriver did the trick (btw, love your employer's products).

Simple thing but are you making sure the take up lever is all the way up before you try and remove the work?

The problem occurred after I had removed the material. I recently added a new servo motor and now the pedal is more sensitive. I had my foot on the foot like I used to do, and the machine took off and jammed.

Edited by codywms

Speed should not make a difference.

Thanks Eric! I found the problem with it sliding back into place -- at some point in the machine's history, the tang that holds the clutch in place, allowing it to click back had been removed. A well=placed screwdriver did the trick (btw, love your employer's products).

The problem occurred after I had removhttp://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=54163ed the material. I recently added a new servo motor and now the pedal is more sensitive. I had my foot on the foot like I used to do, and the machine took off and jammed.

I have a similiar problem, I just got my machine back from the shop. When I got it back it was sewing perfectly. It seems that a bit of thread jammed in between the hook and the bobbin, causing the safety clutch to engage. I called the repair man and he advised me to hold the right most button on the machine and rotate the wheel back or maybe towards me til the safety clutch was reset. After much ado, the hook is spinning again, but does not meet with the needle to make a stitch, any ideas?

It took me a while to figure out what was going on with mine. First, make sure you cleared the thread that got stuck. You'll probably have to remove the bobbin from the case to get the piece of thread out. If the bobbin doesn't turn smoothly, then you've still got a jam.

Once you've got this done and reengage the clutch, you have to make sure the timing marks line up. Otherwise it won't be timed correctly. Flip your machine over and make sure the two marks line up, one on the lower shaft and one on the sprocket where the clutch is located.

You have to time these in two places -- syncing the top and bottom shafts and also at the hook. Most of these 115s appear to have bobbin shafts that are notched to hold them in place, at least when they came to the factory. If the notch is not set, it _could_ slip there. But I'd check and make sure the shafts are timed up first.

UPDATE, Although I don't know the technically terms, the gear that engages the hook moves freely back and forth, but doesn't engage the hook. I am sure it is a simple fix. Thanks for the help Cody, I am still at a stand still. All of these troubles are getting me down. I have had machine trouble for so long :(

Edited by mountain mama

Update, I cross posted hoping for some help. Hey guys, how are ya? I have been struggling with my machine for quite sometime, and by reading through the other forums I have gained alot of knowledge and it has brought me a long way with my machine, I appreciate all of your input and advice, and the work you have done to help other leather workers.

When I first got my machine, I had a jam and ended doing more damage than good, resulting in the hook and stem to be replaced. I took the machine to a repairman, who sorted out the problems and got my machine sewing, however when he tested the machine, he used very thin fabric, not comparable to vinyl or leather. After sewing just bit, the hook quit rotating. After inspection, I found the hook time gear was floppy and the set screws had worked themselves loose. I retimed the hook and got it sewing again. After sewing a bit more, the hook was off again, so I retimed it again, and again and again. Even though I have retimed the hook and the set screws have not worked themselves loose, the hook still gets out of time. I have examined the machine for loose screws that would effect the hook but have found nothing. Does anyone know why my hook is getting out of time after a little use, and what I might do? any help is appreciated.