Sovran81

Singer Patchers

I have seen different models discussed but only a few seem to be sought after. Which models are sought after and why?

Thanks

i have the 29k71

don't know about the others, but mine sews fantastic on really thick leather, if you can squeeze it under the foot then it'll sew lovely, but doesn't like thin leathers anymore.

if i could find another good one, i'd have the same again, as it allows me to repair anything in really tight corners and you don't need to turn your work round to sew in a circle......

fantastic bits of kit, when they work, but they really are cantankerous old gits when they want to be......

I have a 29K172, long arm, big bobbin Singer patcher. It doesn't like #138 thread at all, but does great with #69 or 92. The most it can sew is 5/16" of leather.

Originally, it used the proper system 29x4 needles. But, after suffering from too many skipped stitches, I started using system 135x16 in it.

Because most of my work is taped together with Venture Tape for leather, I regularly experienced problems with glue sticking to the needles and causing skipped stitches (on the patcher only). So, I experimented and ordered some expensive Titanium coated needles. They rarely let tape glue residue stick to them and I have fewer skipped stitches with these needles.

Note, when I got my 29K172 I wasn't aware that the shuttle driver was worn out around the set screw hole. This caused me two years of frustration as I tried everything I could to time it. I even replaced the rack and pinion gears under the arm. Finally, I hauled the head to Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines and had Bobby go over it. After an hour+ of trying things, he pulled out the shuttle driver and saw that its hole was worn oval. He replaced it with a new driver and the skipped stitches are mostly a thing of the past.

In the past I have owned a 29-4 patcher that was so worn out inside the drive ring "puck" that the longest stitch was only 8 to the inch. I bronze-brazed it back to original shape+ and got it to sew 5 to the inch.

Edited by Wizcrafts

Wiz, Do any mods need done to use the 135x16 needles? Where do you source the titanium coated needles? Does Toledo industrial carry parts for the 29k's?

thanks again wiz

I have replaced loads of parts on the machine, but i haven't even checked either the shuttle driver and assembly or the connecting rod........

this week she's getting stripped again.

Wiz, Do any mods need done to use the 135x16 needles? Where do you source the titanium coated needles? Does Toledo industrial carry parts for the 29k's?

Yes

I find that the needles need to be moved hard right.

Yes

Before the 29k58 all models had three gear wheels which are no longer in production so if you have a broken or worn gear set then you own a 30kg door stop.

From the -1 to the k4 there is a leaf spring to provide presser foot tension and this is sometimes missing. Unusually for Singer the same spring was used on the 45k58.

Where do you source the titanium coated needles?

Most industrial sewing machine dealers stock them for garment and upholstery grade machines. Expect to pay up to double what standard needles sell for, unless you buy them by the hundred. Also, Joann Fabrics, with Viking Sewing shops embedded, stock them for long arm quilting machines and high speed embroidery machines.

Here is a Google search result for Titanium sewing machine needles.

Thanks everyone. I ended up getting a 29k58 from a guy who had two. It works and seems to be in pretty good shape, but right off the bat I noticed mine was missing a part that was on his. I downloaded the manual here. http://mediaclean.free.fr/singer29k/manualuser29k58-62.pdf

I am trying to determine which part I need because the manual shows two options. One option is the regulator indicator for the take up lever shown on page 14. The other is the screw adjustment for the take up lever shown on page 15. How can I tell which is correct for my machine? I am completely new to these patchers. Also is it possible(read cost effective) to upgrade these to large bobbin?