Good afternoon all,

I dyed a belt blank black, let it dry overnight, then applied mink oil to part of the belt and neetsfoot oil to the rest. Not too much, really let it soak in, make the belt smooth and flexible. I've rubbed it down, quite a bit, but black dye still rubs off.

I don't recall this happening in the past. What did I do wrong? Will the dye eventually stop rubbing off?

Thanks, in advance!

Dye is pigment is a liquid suspension medium (cliff notes version). When you dye something, . . . pigment lays on the top, . . . and out of the top 10 offenders in this problem, . . . black is by far the worst offender.

You should have taken a used wash cloth (or piece of a terry towel) and just buffed it, . . . buffed it, . . . and buffed it until no more pigment comes off. That would have ended the problem for the 95% most part.

To end it, . . . 100%, . . . you have to put on some kind of sealer.

Yes, . . . it will eventually quit rubbing off, . . . but by buffing the heck out of it, . . . you can make it happen quicker.

May God bless,

Dwight