Roger J

Vinegaroon Neutralization In The Old Days?

There are a lot of written accounts from the old days describing the process of making and using vinegaroon.

Has anyone found any written account of what and how they used to neutralize it?

Lye? Wood ash?

You are working from the assumption that they "neutralised" the iron salt striker (such as vinegroon). (I put neutralised in quotes as it is not a true neutralisation; veg tanned leather has a natural pH of around 2 -- and the idea of adding baking soda is to bring the pH back to this level.) That would assume not only an understanding of the chmical processes going on but also a concern that not doing so would detriment the leather (turns out, it does). This also assumes the use of an acidic striker; Will Ghormley soaks his leather in a rusty water barrel and I don't reckon that would do much damage.

I suspect they simply flushed with clear water, as a chap at Sedgewicks apparently recommended (only hearsay, can't quote it). If you know what Sedgewicks is, you'll put some stock behind that.

Hi Matt,

I'm really new to all of this and was not familiar with Will Ghormley nor Sedgewicks. After Googling, seems the first mentioned is is an old hand custom pro and the second is a well known English tannery.

All I've read previously seems to point to the necessity of a baking soda bath to "neutralize" the acid, or else bad things will happen...I blindly assumed the leather would just fall apart, but have not seen any pictures of this anywhere.

Anyone have pictures of "non-neutralized" vinegarooned leather gone bad OR surviving well without it for several years or decades?

Roger, I've used "roon" for years and nuetralized it w/a tad bit of warm water and a teaspoon of baking soda... then a good rinse and pat dry. I make holsters and have never had one "fall-apart', fade, bend, fold, spindle or mutilate!!!!!! They will have a tendency to smell a bit but that is because of the roon. The odor will disipate eventually. one thing about roon in holsters is that you will find it has a tendency to "resist" molding or boneing. I use it after I've molded or embossed my work. But, don't overthink this and you'll do O.K. The animal who wore this coat of leather got rained on, sunned on, snowed on, pissed on and prolly even got stuck in the sewer a time or two. 'magine that...and we think we can destroy it overnight!!! We can do that by overheating or drying it to much...but it ain't done on purpose. Take care and Semper-fi Mike

Thanks for that Marine MP :)

I do get technically nerdy about some things at time, not too concerned right now cause I'm just experimenting with scraps.