Mike 257

Help Please

Hello everyone

I have been reading just about everything I could on this forum . I want to make holsters and Im ready to get started. I want to start out with a few simple tools but Im getting a bit frustrated on where to buy . I am almost finished making my stitch pony. I purchased John James saddle needles in size 00 today. Im waiting to hear back from Bearman because I want to order his Stinger Awl, I want to buy a Douglas blade for the Awl but don't know where to buy one, Im reading that you buy the douglas Awl blade from Sheridan but I do not see them listed and there is no way to order from there web sight. I dont know what size or type of thread to use for holster sewing . I want to buy an over stitch wheel but not sure what size to buy . Can someone please help me out I have been reading for day and still dont seem to have a cut and dry answer on what to buy and where .

You need to contact www.SheridanLeather.com for your awl blade. They are at the top of the page in the banner adds. You may need to refresh a couple of times to see the add or you can go to their website. Personally i would call rather than order online. Stitch wheel i would get a 5 or 6 either one of them will work for holsters. You can get them at Tandy, Zach White or Springfield Leather.

Thank You , I will call Sheridan tomorrow for my blade and I will also purchase a number 5 stitch wheel

Something's you have to figure when you decide the color of thread the snaps or buttons even the leather dyes and such. Most everyone uses a spool of white waxed thread this can be a flat or braided style most of the companies carry these ck eBay even. When I sew with an awl I use a thread to coincide with the sizes of needle and awl. Buy yourself a grooving tool it helps a lot . Then practice look into the patterns that are on his sight download them tutorials are ther too. Gary

Order the Douglas awl blade, they are AWSOME. I have 2, regular and slim. Do yourself a favor and skip Tandy tools. I have replaced most Tandy tools with Osborne, Gomph, Douglas, Dixon etc. Sheridan has a tab in top right "Tools" with a drop down "Vintage Tools" where you should be able to pick out a pricking wheel ( #5 on my holsters ) you will be better off skipping the cheap china tools Tandy sells.

Good luck

Ok so im having an Awl made by Bearman, I ordered a Douglas blade for it. I purchased a Gomph #5 overstitch wheel and Gomph #2 edger from Bruce Johnson. I ordered one basket weave stamp from Clay Miller. Im thinking im going to use a braided waxed thread but i dont know what sizes are used for holsters.

Edited by Mike 257

Im hoping to eventually be able to produce holsters that are good enough to sell. I want to learn everything by hand before I buy a $3,000 sewing machine. Not to mention i want to make sure im going to like this before i invest a ton. I would like to buy a Bear Man maul and a really nice swivel knife but im going to hold off and concentrate on hand sewing. I will play with the basket weave stamp untill i learn how to use it, then I might try my hand at swivel knife.