IslandMoose

I Just Bought An Adler For $70Usd

Yes, there is a catch. It was used as a production machine with a cutter and waste chute, so it has a bloody big hole in the cast base.

Still, nothing a bit of welding won't sort.

It was a sight-unseen purchase, but it was cheap!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/714757072

What is it? A 67 ? Ever seen one like this?

Dumb for $70USD?

John

Cool - you can´t go wrong with just $70.

Seems it has the hook on the left side due to the cut out where normally the hook is placed.

Anyway this machine is worth every penny if it does what it was made for...

But welding could be a problem since it is a cast iron housing. Not everybody can weld cast iron. As far as I know you only can weld it when the cast iron is HOT (very hot) but heating the iron could cause damages to the mechanics. What I would do is cut a piece of 3mm or 4mm thick sheet metal and glue it in with JB kwik Weld, clean it, sand it and repaint the machine or just the base plate.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Constabulary

Further research indicates Adler put out a 167 73-AE, which was distributed as a binding machine, with binder, cutter and the chute for trimmings. This one that I've bought has the smaller bobbin, so I can only conclude that Adler built a 067 AE as well, though inquiries with the Durkopp Adler website haven't helped yet.

Nonetheless, your suggestion of using JB weld makes sense, as I can have a plate machined to go over the cut-out and just paint the whole thing.

Here is a photo of the 167-73AE

9583.JPG

I pick my machine up tomorrow. Knowing that it has a clutch motor, I have ordered a servo motor replacement that will be configured for my application. It's the Powermax AH-27. This is about the same price as the Reliable 500, but is readily available in NZ.

Pretty excited. I'm going to start by cleaning the machine meticulously, then assessing it for wear and state of tune.

post-50376-0-48724900-1397176158_thumb.j

What a wonderful and intriguing barn find (literally) this is.

It is an Adler 67AE 72-E36

It has a 24volt electric cutting device that has been removed, and an unusual cylinder on the back of the arm, which is not shown in any manual.

It is absolutely filthy, with dust, straw and dried oil everywhere. I am going to soak the whole thing in kerosene for a day or two after I blow it out with my compressor.

The cutting mechanism (removed), has about 30 parts. Fascinating

post-50376-0-47974800-1397289147_thumb.j

If the cylinder is no longer needed remove it if possible. I hope it does not leave a big hole!

From my point of view, most of the times it is worth restoring old machine as long as they are not totally busted! But depends it finally on the machine.

I have restored a few already. My biggest project was a 111G156 which now is my favorite machine and I´m currently working on an Adler Class III from the early 1900´s. It´s a lot of work but also a lot of fun and you learn a lot!

Good luck with your project. I´d like to see pictures of your progress if you don´t kind. :)