It isn't much but here is my first holster I've made and my first project using my consew 206rb .... I formed the leather by soaking it for a day and then putting around the gun and put it in a "Magic Bag" (those bags for clothes that you vacuum out the air). Its for a Springfield Armory XD5 3 1/2 inch 45 cal.

I appreciate any comments or tips

post-42784-0-89070900-1397533922_thumb.j

post-42784-0-88237500-1397533936_thumb.j

I wanna try the vac bag someday. I've been wet molding mine with my fingers so far.

Not bad for a first holster. Only comment you have a fair bit of leather between the edge and stitch line. A little of that could be trimmed away. I would alos bevel and burnish the edges. May I aske why you soaked the leather for a day? A good dunking or 20 30 seconds under the faucet getting it wet enough to be some what limp and pliable is all you need. I have made some very detail molded holsters and never had to soak them for very long.

Edited by camano ridge

I had read on a tutorial on molding that if you soak it til you don't see anymore bubbles it molds easier ... but it would certainly save me time if that isn't true lol .... thanks for the input I really appreciate it ... and Para I found those bags at walmart they were $10 for 4 of them and my only tip on it is... that you have to make sure you get something under the valve so the bag doesn't block it and you get all the air out that way.

Edited by panku82

Thanks for the info! Will pick some up when I get off duty!

Very nice. I'm about to dive into making holster and was curious about this vacuum lock bags. It looks it, but do you feel it did a fair job and molding around the pistol? meaning that the retention is evident?

Thanks

Yeah Paul its gonna hold that shape and I was very impressed with how tight it fit the gun and was glad I formed it with the lining leather in place (I used a very thin pig skin leather to line it only because of the metal of the rivets)... I was skeptical when a buddy suggested it to me but I was really impressed with how well it worked and as a bonus it keeps the leather wet being in that plastic and its easier than using sandbags or whatever ....you can leave it in there as long as you like til your ready to work it

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to give it a shot. I found an inexpensive one to test the waters with.

no problem at all Paul and like I told Para I got 4 of them at Walmart for $10 ... they are reusable and the large ones are huge ... I think I could fit a motorcycle seat in them they are so big lol