jawilliams

filling in spaces

I started building sheaths and I want a smooth edge on a fold over sheath. I was told to sand the edge and then load a buffing wheel with bees wax and then run the edge over the buffing wheel and keep loading the buffing wheel and then the edge until I got what I wanted. Is this a good way to do this or is there a better way or ways? :helpsmilie:

Thanks,

James

I haven't ever done that, but I would say try it on scrap first, 'cause it sounds like a good way to get a fuzzy edge and then you'll play hell trying to get the fuzz out of the bee's wax.

If you are trying to even out uneven edges, I would sand, rough then fine, bevel the edge, wet it and rub until it is smooth enough. Then dye and burnish.

Maybe that helps, Kevin

I agree with the sanding part, but the beeswax on the buffing wheel should be postponed until the edge is slick already. I would wet the sanded edge and then slick with a piece of hardwood or bone folder. then use the beeswax and you should get a good edge.

Marlon