I am new to leather work and i was watching nigel armitage videos. In one video he said depending on how many stitches per inch you do you should have an appropriate thread size so im curious for 7 or 8 stitches per inch on a phone case or wallet do i use the .6 mm thread or .8 or 1. Basically im looking for a general explanation so when i go up to a bag or tablet case i can know what to do. I hope this makes since im not sure im explaining myself right

its up to you.

I use .58mm thread on 7 spi and also .8mm tiger thread.

I prefer .58mm at 7spi and I personally would want to use .8mm at 5-6 SPI.

Its not unusual to use .8mm at 7SPI.

Thank you. So with thread that thin wat size pricking iron hole would i use the smallest i can find or do you just wheel and awl your holes?

I would start at 7 SPI.

Pricking irons create a slanted stitch. Overstitch w/ groover a more flatter stitch.

Two brands I would recommend is vergez blanchard and dixon. Vergez is top of the line, dixon works equally as well but isn't as well made as vergez (I had to grind the teeth down to get it to a smaller size). Ordering from dixon directly they can do it for you for free.