austinb

Beveler Size For Edge Rounding On 1.5" Belts

I had purchased a Keen edge beveler from Tandy to bevel the edges of my belts. I had purchased another beveler (can't remember the size) for edges, but it leaves them rather triangular, and I want something rounded.

Any specific size or beveler I should get to achieve this? All of my belts are 1.5" Hermann Oak strips purchased from Springfield leather.

Thanks!

You can get a rounded edge using a rounded type edge burnishing tool.

I do straps up to 1-1/2" and generally use a size 3 in that same model. For smaller and thinner leather I have a size 2 that I sue, but I found with the thinner stuff, if I lay it on top of a piece of scrap strap and flush up the edges, it cuts much easier and smoother.

Using a burnishing tool will only temporarily round the grain over the edge.

I assume your Hermann Oak strips in that width are 12 oz+ bridle or similar temper and weight.

You need to make some choices about removing material.

If you wish to round the grain edge without substantially rounding the side edge, you can use a #2 (slight), #3 (slightly larger), #4 (biggest) standard edger e.g. https://www.osborneleathertools.com/product_details.php?pid=194. They have a round bottom, but are a monstrous pain in the ass to sharpen and never come from the factory with a useable blade.

If you wish to put a larger radius on the edge, you might consider using a Bissonette edger. Held at a consistent angle on the top edge, they remove a consistent amount of material from the grain to the side edge and can also help evening little cutting issues.

I can post some some example pics of each strategy if you wish.

I mounted a piece of 2mm (think that was the size) round lace to my stropping board with glue. Applied rouge and drag my #126 edgers down it every so often. I've never sharpened them, but that stropping makes a world of difference in how they cut.

Tandy has an excellent book on use, care and sharpening on most tools.