AndersenLeather

Classic English Briefcase

You did an incredible job on this. It's a beautiful bag!

I would love to see some more process photos if you have any and are willing to post them!

Very well done !!!!! Would you happen to have a source for those locks ?

Thanks and congratulations on a superb job

Very well done !!!!! Would you happen to have a source for those locks ?

Thanks and congratulations on a superb job

The lock is from abbey england: http://www.abbeyengland.com/Store/tabid/77/ProductID/69333/language/en-GB/Default.aspx

Excellent work. Do you sell your goods?

Thank you :) I only sell smaller goods to friends and family. It is strictly a hobby :)

Great looking bag. However we are always more cirtical of our own work then anyone else would be, so saying that. What did you learn along the way? What would you change or do differently on your next bag?

When I think back the first thing that comes to mind is the mistake I made when I sew the " compartment separator" to the gusset.

It is this line of stitches I mean:

post-23717-0-75217900-1413913175_thumb.j

The stitch line has to be further from the edge than one would think. I just followed the instructions from al stohlman where he makes the accordion gusset. When I began to sew I realised that I wasn't penetrating the separator piece with the awl. This off cause would weaken the bag so I spend a long time trying to pull the leather closer together so that the awl would penetrate. The result was a crooked stitch line.

I also spend a lot of time figuring out how long the flap should be. I would say that i made it a bit too short. Should I do it again I would make the front piece (and off course also the gusset) 1 or 2 cm shorter. You could off course also make the flap longer but then the overall dimensions of the bag would change.

Make a good and comfortable handle and remember to add extra space so that you can also carry it while wearing gloves! I did this mistake on another bag I made!

When you sew on the small pieces on the front and back that holds on the strap in place use 4 small nails to keep it in place. I only used 2 and that wasn't enough to make it stay in total alignment with the bottom edge.

You are going to sew a lot of small lines. (the small pieces on the front and back required 16 separate threads!) If you make the threads too long you will be wasting a lot thread. Therefore figure out exactly how long the thread should be when you sew these small lines.

Write down what you do along the way. Also remember to take pictures! I did not and I regret it.!