Sign in to follow this  
brettra

Gun Sling Template Request

Hello All,

Looking to see if anyone can steer me to a rifle sling template (free or paid). I've been doing the google search and see lots of custom work on slings but no templates.

I'm hoping to make one with the thumb hole as this seems to be a very useful addition.

If no templates are known, if anyone has some measurements that would be useful as well. Distance from top of sling to thumb hole, and adjustment hole measurement would be greatly appreciated. I believe adjustment of 36" to 42" seems to be common.

I'm looking to create a sling that will fit to 1" swivels, flaired out with decreasing width, thumb hole, continue decrease to 1" bottom strap (one piece) finished with a Conway Buckle for adustment.

Lazy me, works best off templates I can see and modify. Information me is able to build the template in Corel Draw if I have measurements that work in the real world.

Any direction on this is greatly appreciated.

Blackriverlaser.com has a rifle sling acrylic template you can put a thum hole in it or a thumb strap on it. It also has cutouts for inlays. I have the template and it works well. It is cheaper on their ebay store. There are several sling patterns in various editions of The Leather Crafters and Saddlers Journal. I have all of those patterns if you want any of the measurements PM me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CUSTOM-RIFLE-SHOTGUN-SLING-TEMPLATE-SET-FOR-LEATHER-CRAFTERS-NEW-FOR-2013-/130837614009 I did not see the other rifle sling tempalte on their site tonight, however if you call Joyce at Black River Laser I am sure it is still available.

Edited by camano ridge

Blackriverlaser.com has a rifle sling acrylic template you can put a thum hole in it or a thumb strap on it. It also has cutouts for inlays. I have the template and it works well. It is cheaper on their ebay store. There are several sling patterns in various editions of The Leather Crafters and Saddlers Journal. I have all of those patterns if you want any of the measurements PM me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CUSTOM-RIFLE-SHOTGUN-SLING-TEMPLATE-SET-FOR-LEATHER-CRAFTERS-NEW-FOR-2013-/130837614009 I did not see the other rifle sling tempalte on their site tonight, however if you call Joyce at Black River Laser I am sure it is still available.

The one from BlackRiverLaser is a good one. I designed it and have used it for years then Joyce converted my pattern to an acrylic template and I love it. It is 44" long which will fit most any rifle. I highly recommend it. It is designed to use Chicago Screws to close with, is adjustable, but it couuld easily be modified to use a conway buckle, it is 2-1/4" wide at the widest point and tapers to 1" the 1" in maintained all through the adjustment area on the bottom of the strap. The top piece is 1" as well.

Chief

Edited by Chief31794

Thank you both for the shares.

I'm not happy though... looks like I may need to purchase a few other of the acrylic templates :thumbsup: . Nice to see some great tools out there to make life easier.

I appreciate the time you took to steer me in the right direction. I agree that the template is easy enough to modify a thumb hole. Any recommendations on how far from the top of the sling? I know personal preference could come into play but it seems about 14" from top would be a good placement. Any thoughts?

Thanks

As an average that might work. Some one 6 + feet would be different then some one 5' 6" also on some one like me with a little extra meat between the front and back 14" would be up a little high for me.

Personaly I find the thumb loop to be more comfortable then the thumb hole.

camano ridge, never thought of a loop. that sounds like a good idea. I'm 5'9" so I could likely split the average after a first go.

I've ordered a few of the acryric templates from BlackRiver's ebay site. Looking forward to working with them. Thanks again for the useful share!

Cheers!

Or you can put a series of holes and attach the loop with chicago screws making it adjustable.

Edited by camano ridge