DS STRAPS

Watch Strap Fillers, What Material?

Anyone who makes watch straps or uses a filler/padding in ther leather projects happen to know what material to use as a filler, or I should say padding?

I use foam in my guitar straps. I got my first foam at Walmart in the school supplies, 6 sheets of preschool primary colors with peel off paper on the back, LOL. But it works like a charm and the very first guitar strap I made 3 years ago is still as good today as when I made it. Now maybe you can help me with a question. I ordered a 1" buckle set to make a watch band but can't reverse engineer one because I don't own one. Could you tell me how long you make your straps and show a picture of the back? Thanks Cheryl

I use foam in my guitar straps. I got my first foam at Walmart in the school supplies, 6 sheets of preschool primary colors with peel off paper on the back, LOL. But it works like a charm and the very first guitar strap I made 3 years ago is still as good today as when I made it. Now maybe you can help me with a question. I ordered a 1" buckle set to make a watch band but can't reverse engineer one because I don't own one. Could you tell me how long you make your straps and show a picture of the back? Thanks Cheryl

Thank you I will have to check it out!

As for the strap 1" buckle is 26mm according to watches. I typically make a common size of 75mm/130mm, the 130mm just gets smaller or larger depending on customer. the back depends on the material I am using, if I have a solid piece I will just fold it over and cut down to length, if it is a thin piece I will add a second piece as backing then skive down the tips of the front piece, fold over, glue, then stitch. I can get pics of it later today for you.

Thank you so much. I asked 1500 members this in another group and they could not tell me what % the small strap was to the larger one. I guess I'll just test it on me. It may be more of a cuff strap I guess at that size but I just couldn't resist the buckle set. I guess the back would look like a belt really, oblong hole for buckle and two chic ago screws to hold the buckle and keep in place. then the tip glued on the other end. Have done it 3-4 times on a guitar strap but nothing this small so want to make sure I cut enough for the fold, but not a foot too much, LOL. I don't expect it to look anything like yours since it's my first one. I have some new dyes and antique paste coming plus some burnishing tools so I will just stamp my initials on this and try out some of my new antique. I use a horse shoe stamp sideways for the CC so if someone buys it, it's my makers mark. If they don't it's mine :) The buckle set I got is similar to this http://springfieldleather.com/27208/Buckle-Set%2CSan-Saba%2C3-8%22/ but an inch. But it's silver and gold plated so can match any jewelry. I hope the one inch doesn't end up looking clunky. Sorry for blabbering, I appreciate you showing me the back and I'll show you mine when I finish it. Cheryl

I usually make the fold approx. 30mm and use a cut down wire hanger to give me the through holes for the spring bars, if you are using Chicago screws then you may need a lil more material. You could use a thin piece of soft material as backing to conceal the fold and screw backs, for comfort and design.

I love your ideas for the strap. I have a leather sewing machine so I could use that for the hardware. I don't have to use Chicago screws on something this small, or I could use rivets although I'm not that secure in my rivet setting. I have a lot of lining material too. I appreciate all your help with this, sorry I couldn't get back sooner. Cheryl

Here is a pic of folded over back, using thin cork so laid over 4 oz leather. If I can get larger pieces I just folder over where possible

post-30303-0-19530500-1404932945_thumb.j

You use cork on your ends? What a cool idea. I see that you sew your hardware on so that's what I'll do. I really do love your pieces ypou've shown us here. I hope the thin foam from walmart or some place else works out for you. Cheryl

Well the whole front side of this strap was cork, was using the pic to display how I fold over the material. If you were using a thicker material you could cut a piece 70mm in length and glue a top/front piece, 130-140mm, skive the ends down thin then fold over. with the spring bar allowance comes to about 74-75mm in length

So you put the cork on the leather and folded both over. How unique. Now you are giving me ideas of making a lizard or some other exotic watch band, have a ton of small exotic pieces. Cheryl

Yes, typically anything thin like lizard I lay on top of 4-5 oz. leather. A lot easier if you just fold over the thin material, no skiving required, rather than folding both materials.

Yes I can skive other materials. But I like the look of lizard and have a nice brown piece here picked out. I am waiting on the buckle set though so haven't started it yet. I'm wishing now I'd gotten the 5/8ths. I get ideas and before I even get the products I start doubting how the project will look. If it seems too big then I'll use it on something else and get a smaller one. I have a beautiful 1" set I've been saving for something nice, maybe I'll use it. It's silver colored with brown and red designs in it. Oh well I'm blabbing out of control :) Thanks for your help. Cheryl