StrigaMort

High Quality Wing Divider?

I have a Harbor Freight wing divider and I knew it was junk when I bought it, I just needed something at the moment. The fit & finish is terrible and I pretty much won't use it. So I've been on the lookout for something nice. I'm unimpressed with the stuff I've found at Hobby Lobby, Sears, HD, etc...

Then, the other day, I saw a video where the person was using what looked to be a very high end, heavy, polished and just generally very nice divider.

Where can I get a top quality divider? I'd like the very best if possible. A couple of options would be nice if they exist.

Thanks, Anthony

Edited by StrigaMort

I use a Starrett divider. Starrett is known in the industry as some of the finest tools made. Typically machinist and pattern makers use this quality of tool. I took mine and rounded off the points and polished them up. They mark a perfect line on leather every time. You'll pay good money for this level of quality, but likely, it will be the last divider you'll ever need to buy. Make sure you buy the machinist type and not the carpenters type.

Search Amazon for Starrett Divider.

Steve

C.S. Osborne makes nice dividers.

Weaver sells good ones starting around $80.00(~$100.00 for the fancy version), you can get a good one from Tandy (one of the few good tools they sell) for ~$23.00 retail, less if you're gold or elite. Springfield sells the CS Osborne for a little over $50.00, a search on Google or Yahoo will find a bevy of sources with prices ranging from ~$5.00 on upward. I have an old Tandy one that I've used for decades, looks just like the ones they're selling now and it has served me well.

Chief

J. Dixon Tools UK. and Vergez Blanchard, France both make very nice European leather compasses. Same ones as for hundred years ago.

Tor