mrtreat32

Securing A Tassel

Started making tassels for a few designs Im working on and was wondering if anyone has ways to secure the loop and the part you roll without stitching straight through the top. Problem is they are so thick its hard to get the awl straight through the piece in a straight line.

A lot of online tutorials just seem to glue and roll them but Im worried they will come apart like that.

Here is a link to demonstrate something similar to what Im making.

https://img1.etsystatic.com/038/0/6259315/il_340x270.625685547_megv.jpg

I have never tried doing something like this but when I try something new, I make samples and test them.

I would try tying and/or stitching the tassels and gluing the band using something like Barge cement.

Then test it out - then you'll have an idea of what to expect... Hope this helps.

I have never tried doing something like this but when I try something new, I make samples and test them.

I would try tying and/or stitching the tassels and gluing the band using something like Barge cement.

Then test it out - then you'll have an idea of what to expect... Hope this helps.

thanks.

I am using barge cement already as I roll them up. With certain types of leather the barge alone doesnt seem like it will be strong enough to hold it over time.

Whenever I use barge on chrome tan it doesnt stick super strong but its usually not a problem since its a temporary hold until I sew it.

Don't know what type of glue but I'd skive the skin side of the leather where you want to finish so when you glue it, the glue sticks better to the end of the roll.

And the loop part, I'd stitch to the beginning of the roll and then glue at intervals when you roll so the tassel won't unravel as easy.