This might not be anything new but it sure helps me especially wit the thin stuff.

post-36503-0-10096400-1407882117_thumb.j

I use mine all of the time instead of my pistol grip strap cutter.

KingX, did you notice the three rods sticking out of the handle? They don't come that way.

I noticed the three pegs. Did you add them to help feed the cut strap along the cutter?

Edited by Feraud

I like the peg idea, Red Cent. Up 'til now, for me, the spousal unit's hands have served the same purpose as those when cutting thinner leather. I bet your idea is much cheaper in the end, and just as effective.

Bill

The cutter hugs the edge of the leather much better and one can concentrate on the pull rather than holding up the leather with the cutting hand. I think you will be very surprised if you try it.

Feraud, when I use the cutter, I have to pull the cutter, keep the leather up and straight behind the blade while pulling. What you have mentioned wasn't intended but a fortunate consequence.

While doing all those things while cutting, sometimes the handle would stray out from the leather causing an unwanted wave in the leather strip and leaving an opposing wave in the hide that had to be straightened out. Or I did not know how to use it. Well, now it cuts easily and straight with little assistance.

Feraud, when I use the cutter, I have to pull the cutter, keep the leather up and straight behind the blade while pulling. What you have mentioned wasn't intended but a fortunate consequence.

While doing all those things while cutting, sometimes the handle would stray out from the leather causing an unwanted wave in the leather strip and leaving an opposing wave in the hide that had to be straightened out. Or I did not know how to use it. Well, now it cuts easily and straight with little assistance.

Red Cent,

Do you wrap the leather around all three pegs, or what? I need to do something to keep my cuts straight.

A very smart and simple solution!

The two bottom pegs hold the leather horizontal to the cutter and the top peg keeps it that way. If you have used this cutter for a while you will still put your fingers on the leather's bottom side but you don't have to manipulate the leather. The leather approaches the blade flat/horizontal and makes cutting much easier.

No wrapping. Place the leather above the bottom pegs and under the top peg. I cut 8-9 ponce down to 4-5 ounce and I was surprised.

And another thing. Ever had to make a small cut to get the cutter started even with a good blade? Well, with the pegs, you can apply much more pressure and the leather will not buckle on you.