I need help from some of you guys. Do any of you know anything that can be bought at an ACE HARDWARE, Wal-Mart, or the like that I can use to thin contact cement? I have a qt that needs thinning some. I really don't use it that much and if I can find a way/something local that I can use to thin the cement at times it would be a big help to me. Thanks in advance for any and all replies. Billy P PS the contact cement that I have is WELDWOOD original in case it makes a difference, which it probably will. brp

Billy I have used acetone to thin Barge cement. It's available at the places you mentioned.

Acetone & Toluene works. Just a little dab'll do ya'.

Either, or together will thin it out to be workable, but it's never quite as good as fresh.

For the price of the cement, buying additives probably dosn't make great sense...emergencies excluded. I'ld just go buy another tub of cement.

Hi Billy,

Do this totally at your own risk, but the stuff thinner is made of is:

50% or so solvent petroleum naptha (aliphatic) like Coleman camp stove Fuel.

25% or so Toluene

25% or so Acetone

Be careful.

Art

I need help from some of you guys. Do any of you know anything that can be bought at an ACE HARDWARE, Wal-Mart, or the like that I can use to thin contact cement? I have a qt that needs thinning some. I really don't use it that much and if I can find a way/something local that I can use to thin the cement at times it would be a big help to me. Thanks in advance for any and all replies. Billy P PS the contact cement that I have is WELDWOOD original in case it makes a difference, which it probably will. brp

Hi Billy,

I bought cement thinner at a small hardware (mom&pop type) store, it was the same stuff (ingredients-wise) that Tandy sells & worked on Barge.

Yea smoking a cig while doing this would be a bad idea.