Redhairing

Leveling Slightly Funky Edges

I am saddle stitching a large messenger bag and have three stitched together edges that need to be evened up with each other.....one layer is a stiff harness leather reinforcing strip and the other two are buffalo edges of my zipper gusset. Do I level them with a knife , glass, or by sanding? Very little clean up is needed and I would think a sanding block would give me the straightest edge but I have not understood leather sanding so far as I am a leather newbie.....I find that when I sand, I remove what I need but am left with the bigger problem of shaggy fibers. If sanding is the answer, what grit and type of sandpaper? and is sanding do-able with soft fleshy buffalo???? thanks!!!!

I don't know about buffalo, but I use a dremel w a 220 grit drum on vegtan to even edges....then i go over the edges w 400, 800, then on to burnishing...if u use too rough a grit you will pull fibers up and u won't get a clean edge...my best advice is try starting w 220 on some scrap, then if thats still too rough go to a higher grit...hope this helps