Ylide

Antique Staining / Dyeing Leather

Hey all,

Can anyone explain how this two-tone antiqued leather color is done, as per the pictures in this guy's etsy store? I'm not even sure antiquing is the right word, so I'm having trouble finding tutorials. I love this look, and I have a couple belts at home with a similar coloring.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/BlackthornLeather?ref=shopsection_shophome_leftnav

Thanks!

I would say that the edges have been lightly block dyed with a darker finish before the main color application was completed in order to achieve the tones that you have referenced by the link. You can go to Tandy's Leathercraft Library and download their Coloring with Eco-Flo books that are free and this technique is explained in great detail. It doesn't matter what type of dyes/stains that you are using, the technique is really the same across the board. Keep in mind that being able to pull this technique off successfully requires just as much practice on scrap leather as being able to create beautiful full-color artwork on floral and other detailed carved patterns. Practice, practice, practice.

Good luck with your venture into the advanced coloring techniques and I would love to see some of your finished works once you get there.

He's a regular around here. My guess is it's an airbrush.

Thanks for the post on block dyeing. I don't think that's how he's doing it as the base color seems to permeate the entire piece. But it will help with another piece I want to do so I appreciate it.

Fanninator, do you know his forum name? I'll just ask him directly.

It may be Blackthorn.

AndyL1 is who you're looking for.

2nd commenter here:

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=58710

When you say:

Thanks for the post on block dyeing. I don't think that's how he's doing it as the base color seems to permeate the entire piece.

I'm not sure what you mean by that, because after you block dye the edges with the black, you go over the whole piece with the brown, (including the parts you just block dyed black) so it should look like it permeates the entire piece.

That being said, while I think this is possible with a block dye, it looks more like an airbrush to me.

Did you ever contact him to see how he did it?