Dan207

Total Noob, Please Be Patient

I'm just starting out at this hobby. I have some real beginners questions. I tried using the search function on this forum with no luck. So... here goes.

Is veggie tan the only leather that can be tooled, or can other leather be used by using other methods? Does the age of the leather make any difference in how you would prep it to be tooled?

I had a pile of leather given to me. Most of it is quite old. some looks like veggie tan, but won't take water properly. some is thick, some thin, dark brown to light tan. You name it, I think I have some. But I don't know if I can tool any of it. I've tried some small pieces, but they don't react to the tooling like the piece I bought from the store.

Any help and much patients would be appreciated.

Thanks Dan

Leather is like in-laws, . . . comes in all kinds of sizes, shapes, flavors, and temperaments. But only one can be fully and successfully utilized by most guys.

In the case of in-laws, . . . it's that huntin / fishin / Ford driving brother of hers, . . . in the case of leather, . . . it's vegetable tanned.

Put what you have in a box, bag, drawer, or cupboard for a while.

Go get get a piece of good vegetable tanned 8/9 oz leather (buy a small hunk on Ebay), . . . get some cheap tools, . . . mess around with it, . . . see if you like it.

Getting into leather working really is sorta like getting married, . . . and if you decide to bail out after 20 bucks worth of leather and 30 bucks worth of cheap tools, . . . you haven't lost much, . . . kinda like the $50 annulment, . . .

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

I already bought some cheep tools and a small piece of leather. I did a small design and it came out pretty good. Then I had this pile of leather given to me. most of it seems really nice, but I don't know what may or may not be veggie tan. Is veggie tan always a light cream collar? some of the stuff I got looks like that, but won't take water.

OK, that being said. How do I "know" what is and what isn't vegetable tanned?

God bless

Thanks Dan

typically speaking, veg tanned leather is stiff and firm. chrome tanned leather (the kind that you CANNOT tool) is generally soft and pliable (think leather couch). veg tanned leather is usually tan in color but it varies from pinkish to light brown if it has some age to it.

Who knows how old, what condition, what finishes if any, and what sort of glazing occurred though simple age and poor handling?

You could probably make unfinished straps or like simple projects, but if it won't take water, tooling is out of the question.

Do what Dwight suggests.

Michelle