lranger

Edging 2 Oz. Leather

Is there a way to make the edges of 2 - 2.5 oz. leather round like when you use an edger on thicker vegtan?

Yes, there is. Make sure the edge is fully supported - either stitching, glue, or just something placed on top of it, then wrap a cloth around then end of a flat tool (like a creaser/folder). Then, moisten the edge and run your cloth covered tool across it to burnish. If it's already on another piece of leather, you'll need to slide something like a file folder under the edge before burnishing. This is to prevent additional burnishing on the leather under the file folder.

Thanks TwinOaks,

I gave that a try but it doesn't seem to work for me, especially with one layer. I made a 1" strap with 2 layers of 2 oz. leather glued together and with a strip of bag stiffener sewn in between the layers. I dampened the edge and can get a nice round burnished edge on my bench burnisher. But I can't do that with a single layer. If I could I wouldn't have to be spending so much time painting the edges.

It seems to me that I read that people don't like, or want to burn the edge of the leather when burnishing. Well, I actually like that. It makes the edge a darker color, so I don't even have to paint or dye it. Maybe I'm just showing my ignorance.

Keith

There are a discussion about this recently:

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=58834

There were some good ideas in that thread.

Bob

Thank you, Bob, that info is very helpful.

What I'm doing is trying to find a faster method of finishing the bare edges on leather like Tandy's Minelli sides and Tundra sheepskins for making bags and purses. Maybe I'm being lazy, but I just hate all the time it takes to paint the edges, then sand or burnish, then paint again, etc., etc. It may not be possible to do it fast and easy with acceptable results. It needs to be rounded and smooth with a little darker color without dying or painting like slightly burning the edge does for me. Maybe that's what the heating iron does that I've seen discussed lately. But, I haven't found those irons for sale anywhere, the ones like in the videos DavidL posted recently. I'll keep trying.

Thanks again.

Edited by lranger

I haven't looked at those particular hides, so this may not apply...but, burnishing really only works on veg-tan leather. If it's bag side, or any other type of chrome tanned, tawed, or oil tanned leather, you might be able to slick it (sorta), but it likely won't ever take a true burnish.

ETA: I just took a look at them and they are almost certainly chrome tanned leather. You can sand, de-fuzz, smooth, burn, and paint them...but they won't take an actual burnish because they lack the oils, waxes, and fats (tallow) that veg-tan has preserved in it. You might be able to add something to them to make them lay down, but because the good stuff isn't IN the fibers, it won't be the same.

TwinOaks,, you are 100% correct, and I just proved it for myself as I have been testing all the different leathers I have on hand. The only thing I found that affected chrome tan edges was burning it with a hot iron.

There are some leathers that I'm not sure what method of tanning was used, definitely not vegtan or chrome, that actually got a burnished look that would be OK, but the treatments you listed for chrome tan are the only ways I see to treat their edges,,, unless I can find something different.

Most of my experience has been with veg tan leather, and buckskin, and I've really never tried or dealt with finishing the edges of anything else, so I'm kind of in new territory and on a new learning curve. Presently, I'm doing the Fenice painting thing.

I appreciate everyone's input.