GlennR

Alabama Novice

I am a novice here who is looking to learn more about leatherworking, technical tips, finishing and general ideas about what can be done with this amazingly versatile medium. I like the artistic aspect but am primarily interested in practical application of leather such as for holsters, sheaths for knives that I assemble, and my next project of a set of quivers for my brothers and dad. Up to now I have made a couple holsters, a simple quiver, some sheaths, a few magazine/knife cases and a few miscellaneous items. Definitely need to work on the finishing. No experience at all tooling.

post-55798-0-35328100-1414945447_thumb.j

post-55798-0-95362400-1414945474_thumb.j

post-55798-0-61672300-1414945533_thumb.j

post-55798-0-82076200-1414945534_thumb.j

post-55798-0-89758100-1414945668_thumb.j

post-55798-0-48136000-1414945671_thumb.j

post-55798-0-83797000-1414945948_thumb.j

Edited by GlennR

Welcome!

Glen R

I'll second that for Bob, Welcome to our forum !

Your leather items have a good look to them .-------------------- Wild Bill46

From one Alabamian to another, welcome aboard and sure you will enjoy this site.

Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year,

God Bless.

Ray

Ray, thank you. I am enjoying the site immensely, and hopefully learining. I paid attention to the help on burnishing and my edges look a lot better now. Had to go back and redo the edge on a couple items.

These are the last two projects, gifts for my dad and brother to go with the custom longbows we got for Christmas.

post-55798-0-15341600-1419460282_thumb.j

post-55798-0-85208200-1419460285_thumb.j

post-55798-0-12313300-1419460290_thumb.j

Glenn R --------------------

Yes , Yes , And Yes ! Your edges do seem better !

I'm glad your joining this site has helped you. Your expertese will improve over time with due dilligents.

I think I'm especially fond of the quiver with the darker reinforced top edge/corner , as this gives a nice appearence.

Hope to see more of your work in the future.

Welcome to the best site on the internet. If you don't mind, sharing, what part of the state are you in? I'm in process of moving from Mobile up to Huntsville, and have been looking for other members in the area. I recently found the Alabama Leather Guild, which has meetings in Trussville (just outside of B'ham). There's been a few other members from our state join up recently, too, and I'm trying to scope out the competition see if there's anyone one around so we can compare notes, techniques, etc.

Wild Bill,

I like the brown quiver better as well, it was the second one so there were some improvements along the way. I went with the reinforcement as a matter of practicality because I went with a lighter leather and didn't want the mouth flattening out, however it provided a nice accent. I need to make a couple more but am not sure of what type yet.

Twin Oaks,

I am in between Huntsville and Birmingham. I was thinking about the leatherguild, Trussville is just sort of a trek from here, but once a month might not be out of the question.

Edited by GlennR