zuludog

Choosing A New Awl

I have the awl with interchangeable blades that came with a Tandy starter kit, but I don't like it. The haft is too small, I can't get the chuck/collett tight enough so the blades twist & slip, and I haven't managed to get the blade very sharp, though perhaps that's my fault

I've been looking at possible replacements

Vergez-blanchard are expensive and don'y have a British supplier

I've heard of Bob Douglas but haven't been able to find out much, and there doesn't seem to be a British supplier

Osborne have a British supplier, but I don't like the look of their hafts, and I hear the quality is not as good as it was

Bowstock offer a sharpened & polished blade ready mounted in a haft, and have a decent reputation

John James has a good reputation

What I have decided is -

1) To buy the ready mounted Bowstock awl

2) To buy one of each type of Bowstock's hafts (3 in total).

They are cheap enough to try, without worrying much about the cost, and seem big enough to modify the shape a bit if I need to

3) I've sharpened and polished Tandy's round awl blade and it seems OK. Surely there can't be much wrong with a round blade? I'll mount it in one of Bowstock's empty hafts

4) JohnJames have a good reputation. I'll get one of their awl blades and mount it in another empty Bowstock haft.

5) Bowstock hafts don't seem too bad, but are obviously made to a price, and seem to be varnished. I'll fettle them up, and possibly sand off the varnish then treat the wood with linseed oil.

http://www.bowstock.co.uk

John James are under their parent company http://www.entacolimited.com

That should keep me going for the forseeable future. If I feel sufficiently motivated I might have another go at the Tandy blade and mount it in the remaining Bowstock haft

I realise Bowstock & John James are British companies, but nevertheless I would be interested to have any comments

"to fettle" = an northern English dialect word with its origins in the iron & steel industry, meaning to repair, or to clean up and generally improve something.

A note on blade shapes: You mentioned the round awl...that is typically used for marking, not stitching. A proper stitching awl blade typically has a diamond shaped cross section. This shape is critical in being able to position the angle of the stitches. If a round awl is used, you'll only have a hole - no distinguishable top or bottom, and that WILL effect how the thread lies in the hole.

Yes, TwinOaks, thanks for your advice

Both the John James and the Bowstock blades have the correct flattened diamond cross section and the elongated blade shape. I will use those for stitching

I already have a home made scratch awl, but I have read (on the vergez-blanchard website and in a leatherworking book) that a round awl can be used to open up the holes when you backstitch to finish a line of saddle stitching, so that it does not cut the thread. I would like to have a dedicated round awl for this

Sounds more like you could use a fid along with a stitching awl. After I got a fid I wondered how I ever got along without one.

Well, I do have the fid that comes with the Tandy awl. I might try that but for the moment I'll see how I go on with the stitching awl & round awl; I haven't even placed an order yet

snubbyfan; I've just re - read your post. Well your profile actually. You might like this website & forum

http://www.britishblades.com

Thanks, I'll check it out..

I use an Osborne #54 Stitching Awl for hand stitching and I find these to be very good quality --- they polish very nicely and with some care remain extremely sharp.

~Tramp~

Thank you awl(!) for your advice.

You have to draw the line somewhere so I'll stay with the plan I've outlined at the start of this thread

However if I need an awl in the future I'll try Osborne.

I've never had the Tandy starter kit. So I don't know how big the handle is. But usually you want the handle to be as small as possible. Of course if you have very big hands, you may want a larger handle.

Either way if you know a guy with a lathe, you can have that guy make you a good haft. The nicest haft I've ever seen belonged to an old saddler, who had one made in bone or antler. Can't remember which. Apparently your hands don't get sweaty when using said material and your hands aren't prone to blistering.

I tried his awl for a few stabs and I've been wanting one ever since.

My favourite awls are Blanchard (actually just ordered a bunch of them, as I broke the one I have on a concrete floor) and I even have some decent ones from Japan (perhaps Kyoshin Elle). They all need polishing and sharpening, but they work just fine.

From people here, who's opinion I respect, I've heard good things about Bob Douglas and based on the edgers I have, I would definitely trust that suggestion.