Jdubs

Can I Use This Thread?

Hello all, im just receiving my first shipments of LW supplies and i think i may have goofed on my thread. I ordered two gross of this #13 waxed polly at Brettuns. Its listed as 1/16". It just came in and i think i goofed in ordering this. It seems really big. Im new to LW and bought this so i could make holsters, possibles pouches and sheaths. I ordered the seiwa pricking punches that give 6 stitches per inch. Ive done a lot of research about tools but thread is a little fuzzy for me. What are your thoughts? What could i use this for if not for sheaths and holsters? Not really expensive enough to send back... Here is the link to the thread btw http://www.brettunsvillage.com/leather/thread.htm. Its the one at the top.

Luckily i ordered some waxed .35 thread from maine thread co as well. Hopefully thats a bit better for my intended uses.

Thank you for your input!

post-56165-0-85717500-1415131537_thumb.j

Separate a small piece of it and see how many cords there are. I hand sew with 3-cord (approx. 207 size thread) linen and that seems quite a bit larger....perhaps the equivalent of 416 size thread. While that would work, you'll need to sew it at around 4-6 spi to avoid perforating the leather, and even then it's going to appear rather stout. That looks very similar to the thread used in harness machines and shoe machines.

Thank you for the input twinoaks! I didnt even think about pulling one apart! Im going to go give it a shot! Thanks!

Edit: it appears as though this is made up of 9 strans so i should get some good mileage out of my order. I think I just have to pick up some wax to make it neat after pulling it apart!

Edited by Jdubs

1/16" is huge for leather sewing thread.

# 277 thread, commonly used for Pistol belts and holsters is 0.0231" diameter, 1/16" is .0625"