Mlitton

Bowler Hat

I'm looking for a pattern for an all leather derby/bowler hat. Does such a creature exist? I'd be most appreciative of any help or advice. Thanks guys!

post-43251-0-94541700-1416683976_thumb.j

I'm looking for a pattern for an all leather derby/bowler hat. Does such a creature exist? I'd be most appreciative of any help or advice. Thanks guys!

Hi, I dont have a pattern but if you have some basic woodworking tools I can tell you how I wood make one. I wood take a holler that I want to copy. Carve out a wooden form that will fit inside the form of the hat. Then cut out a ring from 3/4" plywood a little oversized that wil fit over the newly made hat block form. The inner diameter to be just big enough to accept your leather. It should be a snug fit. Soak your leather in warm water and lay over the block and press the ring over it until it bottoms out. Turn over and work out your wrinkles and let dry. Remove and cut off excess. Skiv edge. Now just make 2 outer rings. Glue back to back but not completely to inner edge. You will want to sandwich the main edge of upper hat between the 2 rim layers and stitch or lace all 3 leathers together.

Hi, I dont have a pattern but if you have some basic woodworking tools I can tell you how I wood make one. I wood take a holler that I want to copy. Carve out a wooden form that will fit inside the form of the hat. Then cut out a ring from 3/4" plywood a little oversized that wil fit over the newly made hat block form. The inner diameter to be just big enough to accept your leather. It should be a snug fit. Soak your leather in warm water and lay over the block and press the ring over it until it bottoms out. Turn over and work out your wrinkles and let dry. Remove and cut off excess. Skiv edge. Now just make 2 outer rings. Glue back to back but not completely to inner edge. You will want to sandwich the main edge of upper hat between the 2 rim layers and stitch or lace all 3 leathers together.

+1 This is how I am going to do it if I ever get a chance to work on personal projects again.

This may take multiple pieces to get it to come out. I don't know if you can form that deep of a bowl with one piece of leather.

This may take multiple pieces to get it to come out. I don't know if you can form that deep of a bowl with one piece of leather.

I just might have to try it to find out. :-)

I just might have to try it to find out. :-)

Now thinking about it I think I would first add my old harness fat concoction to it first to soften it up.