cheriva

Consew 206Rb-5 Versus Chandler 406Rb-1

I have an Elna Carina and a Cobra Class 4. I currently do clothing alterations, home décor and tack repair (chaps, breastcollars, horse blankets, etc) but I am wanting to make purses and other accessories out of light to medium weight leathers. I am feeling that the Cobra may be too "Heavy-Duty" and had someone suggest a Consew 206RB-5 as a machine that would fill-in the gap. Is the Cobra capable of crafting the light/medium weight items while maintaining good stitch quality or do I need the fill-in machine? Also, after researching on the Toledo website, I saw the Chandler 406RB-1. It is a bit cheaper but the description reads like it is the same machine as the Consew with just a different name and number. Would anyone have any recommendations for me and information on the differences (if any) of the two machines? I also hem jeans (by re-attaching the old hem to maintain the worn look at the bottom) and the thicknesses are very hard on my Elna. Would the Consew or Chandler machines be good for that task also?

Thanks-

Cheri Heffren

The Consew and the Chandler are made by the same company, but in different factories. Both are good machines, but I think the Consew is a little better quality... That being said, either one of those machines should be fine for what you intend to use them for...

Someone else will have to chime in on the Cobra question, I have no experience with those machines.

Thanks Tramp. I will wait to hear from someone on the Cobra.

Cheri

I have been able to sew 6oz chrome and veg tan with #138 thread and #23 (794) needle. Be sure to re adjust the presser foot tension with the banana bar (move bolt all the way up) on the rear of the machine.

I agree with the cylinder arm machine. I think the post machine would be more difficult and I believe the feed system can mark the leather (not 100% sure on that point).

Have you considered the Cowboy CB3200. Ryan at Neel's Saddlery set mine up for 277/207 top/bottom thread. A friend of mine wanted me to help him sew a bimini cover for his boat and after some research, I found that 92 is the recommended size thread for Sunbrella. Even Ryan told me that the CB3200 may have trouble, but I tried it anyway. I loosened up both top tensions, as well as, the top presser foot pressure tension and it sewed the Sunbrella beautifully down to two layers with the lock stitch nicely centered between the layers.

I've personally sewn with it using 92/92, 138/138, 207/207, 277/207, and 277/277 (top/bottom) thread. It will center the lockstitch in 5 oz leather.

I knew I'd never need the larger 441 clones like the Cowboy 4500, but I was hoping to get a machine that could handle 1/2" to 1/8" thicknesses, but was told that one machine probably wouldn't do it. So far the CB3200 has done it all. Couldn't be happier with the machine or Ryan at Neel's Saddlery.

Additional note: I've never had to adjust the bobbin case tension. When I adjust the top tensions, I try to adjust both top tensioners the same amount. I'll back both screws out all the way, then turn them in equally until the lockstitch centers in the material.

I have additional info regarding the CB3200 on my blog at www.conceptleather.blogspot.com.

Hope this helps.

Mike