davey0

How Is This Stitch Done/finished ?

Can anyone help me with how this stitch is done ?

The one neat the lug end of the band. Is there a knot hidden in between the layers ? Is it done when the strap is glued or after glueing ? I usually stitch along the strap after glueing so i'm not sure how this one would be done.

Thanks

Dave

hodinkee-shop-italian-watch-straps-leath

If I had done it, . . . the ends would be inside, . . . well glued, . . .

If you look carefully at the top piece, . . . you can see where it was seriously folded backward by the crease line between the two stitches.

In all probability, . . . the whole thing was pretty loosely sewn, . . . until all the stitches up there were in place, . . . then tugged and tightened, . . . the ends pulled down into the void between the pieces, . . . clipped, . . . glued, . . . and done.

At least that is how I would do it.

May God bless,

Dwight

This would be done in my opinion before glueing. First Thing would be to go from the inside to the outside (only one needle) on the first stitch and leave a piece of thread on the inside thats 3 or 4 cm. From there make as many loops as you need and tighten them as you go. The last pass should go from outside into the inside and you can either tie a knot with the 3-4 cm thread that you started off with and finally thin down the end of the thread the same way you would to get thread to fit into a small needle (so that it doesnt bulge and adheres better.) With contact cement the leather shouldn't separate and the thread if trapped in-between two pieces of leather should stay there permanently.

Now that I think about it you could use double needle regular saddle stitch and when you want to close it up take the loop that you get on the backside wrap it around the needle 2 or 3 times so that it forms a knot and it will end up in the middle.

Those are the two things I would try and figure out from there. Not sure if thats clear enough to understand.