snappy

New Be With A Very Basic Question?

For my birthday my wife gave me a tandy leather starter kit. I am unsure of what or how to use the quartz block for. I have been playing on the kitchen table and am having a great time. My intentions were to make a few holsters, sheath and bags. However I found another world. This is the first time I have played with leather (in boy scout we put kit together). I have learn quite a few things already. If any one can provide helpful hints that would be great. (Wife just told me that I can take this camping with us,while she is working I can make her something). Thank you in advance and keep producing beautiful work.

Sounds like you need more advice than one post can give you. There's a lot of leather working how tos on youtube that will keep you fascinated for days. Good luck Troy

Thanks, I have viewed many you tube I get more question than answer sometime. Wife signed up for tandy resource library ,having difficulty signing in. My biggest teacher so far has been years bag go scrape leather. Not confident to try good leather yet.

Best way is pick a project and do it. Your going to mess up some but you'll learn more in a couple of days than in a month of videos. We ALL have a trash pile. The marble slab is for tooling on for better impressions. Lots of tutorials on this site, stop worrying about ruining something and jump in and have fun with it.

The Granite is so when you are tooling you have your leather between a rock (granite) and a hard place (the tool)...

This is the Tandy Video for the Ultimate starter kit. It should cover all the basics, and what the tools are and how to use them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNdfW7wkz8A#t=13

They also have videos for the smaller kits. You can go to the Tandy web site, and find the kit you have and watch the video about that paticular kit. There is a film strip icon at the top center of the page, on items that have instructional videos. Tools like the hand press also have film strips indicating there is a video about them.

Welcome to the leather world.

Ray

Edited by ENC

Yes, you'll get lots of ideas & information from YouTube, just put 'leatherwork' into the search box. Also work your way through the past Threads on this forum

Most beginner's leatherworking books will have info. on techniques, and a few step by step projects to follow. Ask at your library, or 'Leatherwork; a Practical Handbook' by Valerie Michael is good

This company's website has some tutorials on basic techniques http://www.bowstock.co.uk