RileyRaffy

Burnishing Holes...

I hope this makes sense! I would like to clean up edges that I have cut out of the leather. The holes however are very small and I'm not sure how to get in the corners!!!

Any advice would be much apreciated. Thank god for you guys!

Riley x

Can you put a picture up, . . . with a ruler for comparison?

"Very Small" to a saddle maker has a different meaning than "Very Small" to a watchmaker.

May God bless,

Dwight

Please ignore te shabby tooling. It was my firs time and I am just having a quick practise run ;-) R x

20704_10205017761579156_2057036330894839

Edited by RileyRaffy

I would not be as concerned about burnishing those holes, . . . as just taking a spoon tool and rolling down the sharp edges with it.

It would be a lot faster than burnishing, . . . get pretty much the same effect, . . . and once it is dried, . . . dyed, . . . and finished, . . . I doubt seriously if anyone would ever notice the difference.

May God bless,

Dwight

Ok. Thank you. Again! I just didnt want hairy bits sticking out. Shall I put gumtrag. on the edges after I dye it?

Riley xx

Especially if its practice work I would take the other advice about dying, etc, and then if its still to harry use the gum trag, and burnish it with whatever fits, like a sharpened dowel, or scrap of denim wrapped around a stick. That magical goo will knock down those rough bits with very little effort.

Just remember (this is why I rarely if ever use it), . . . if you spill ANY gum trag, . . . or get it ANYWHERE you don't want it, . . . that piece of leather will NEVER in it's remaining lifetime allow any dye whatsoever to work on it.

Gum trag SEALS the leather like a dungeon seals freedom.

Just be warned if you use it.

May God bless,

Dwight

Ive always used it post dye because I was afraid of that, but never put it to the test. thanks for the heads up. Do you think it works as well to seal the dye in, I love the way this one dye(eco-flo water based) I use goes on but am afraid to let any one even sweat on it even after finishing and waterproofing

Actually, . . . I use water and a couple of electric burnishers for 99% of my burnishing, . . . and Resolene keeps the edges nice once I get them there.

I had some issues with some edge coating things, . . . like gum trag, . . . finally settled on just plain water and friction, . . . it works, . . .

Now if we were doing a super custom piece that someone is going to pony up several hundred / thousands dollars for, . . . we might re-visit this. As it is, my customers are practical, . . . down to earth people who appreciate a good looking product, . . . but are not all in a wad for perfection.

Fact is, . . . most of em come to me for the hand made look that is different from the kydex or machine punched / mass produced junk you find at Walmart.

May God bless,

Dwight