thekid77

Anyone Ever Dyed Leather Camouflage?

Has anyone here done this?

I was thinking about trying it but not sure if the dye would tend to bleed as the leather absorbs....probably other challenges with doing this as well....

id love to hear your experience!! thanks guys :)

Hello Kid77.

I have done what you wish to do, with varying results. You can use a block out product to keep colors where you would like them or carve borders that prevent color bleed.

I have applied directly and obtained the effect I was seeking, by allowing the colors to blend slightly. I have used pyrography to mark areas that I wished to separate and the effect there is about same as you would achieve by using swivel knife.

Using a dye dampened cloth I have also achieved some very interesting combinations. Very easy to obtain a more natural blending of the colors and limited only by your imagination.

Experiment with some scrap and you will find the method that you prefer. Others on the site have probably used other methods.

Hope this was of use to you.

God Bless.

Ray

Hello Kid77.

I have done what you wish to do, with varying results. You can use a block out product to keep colors where you would like them or carve borders that prevent color bleed.

I have applied directly and obtained the effect I was seeking, by allowing the colors to blend slightly. I have used pyrography to mark areas that I wished to separate and the effect there is about same as you would achieve by using swivel knife.

Using a dye dampened cloth I have also achieved some very interesting combinations. Very easy to obtain a more natural blending of the colors and limited only by your imagination.

Experiment with some scrap and you will find the method that you prefer. Others on the site have probably used other methods.

Hope this was of use to you.

God Bless.

Ray

Hey Ray!!! Thank you so much for sharing....gives me lots of ideas....I love the control you have with a dye dampened cloth....I've used that technique with lighter dyes where I want to cover a large area, but where a dauber would just put too much dye on.....this would also probably alleviate the bleed factor greatly....I'm gunna try maybe a stencil + the dye dampened cloth......thanks again for sharing your experience and have a great day!!!