Foggymtn

Our First Sewing Machine

We are looking to buy our first leather sewing machine and wanted some input from the forum. We are new to leather work and need some advice. We are a game call company and we are making leather cases for our game calls. We also plan on making arrow quivers and knife cases also in the future. We use veg tanned leather mostly 8 oz thick. Most of our stuff is double layers of 8 oz we will be sewing. I have read on the forum alot and saved our money rather than buying a home machine to make it work. I didn't want to make the newbie mistake as many warned about here on the forum. I have to admit buying a cheaper home machine and hope for the best has been tempting. I am tired of hand sewing :). I have a budget of $1,500.00 and would like to have a servo motor. Is there any good machines out there at that price point or do i need to keep saving?

We are looking to buy our first leather sewing machine and wanted some input from the forum. We are new to leather work and need some advice. We are a game call company and we are making leather cases for our game calls. We also plan on making arrow quivers and knife cases also in the future. We use veg tanned leather mostly 8 oz thick. Most of our stuff is double layers of 8 oz we will be sewing. I have read on the forum alot and saved our money rather than buying a home machine to make it work. I didn't want to make the newbie mistake as many warned about here on the forum. I have to admit buying a cheaper home machine and hope for the best has been tempting. I am tired of hand sewing :). I have a budget of $1,500.00 and would like to have a servo motor. Is there any good machines out there at that price point or do i need to keep saving?

Foggymtn, there are tons of machines on the market that will sew what you are describing. Depending on where you are located (shipping costs), we have vendors/dealers who should be able to hook you up with a great new, or reconditioned machine in that price range... Nick-O-sew is in Tn - Toledo (Cowboy Bob) is in Oh, - I believe Cobra Steve is on the west coast - Techsew is in Canada... These are all great dealers and should be able to take care of your needs. (My apologies if I missed any of our dealers)

Thanks for the information. I did read the entire link and it was great information. There are so many options which lead to questions. I am leaning toward the Cowboy 3200 with a flat table attachment. It does however look like i have to save a few hundred more. I was thinking about the cowboy 2500 since it was in my budget of $1,500. but was worried about the fact it may mark the leather from the walking foot.

One word of advice. BUY BIGGER than you think you need. Once you get a sewing machine, it will open up a whole new world of possibilities, and you will always wish you had one that would sew another layer of leather.

I have a consew 206, and I never imagined I would need to sew more than its capacity. I didn't have it a month before I was trying to sandwhich more and more leather under the presser foot.

Always get more than you think you will need because at some point you will. I would highly recommend saving a bit more and getting the 3500. It will sew just about anything you will throw at it and there is the accessory table that you can purchase when you need it.

I know it's not easy to wait a bit longer, but it will be worth it because you will not be in "whudda, shudda, . . . " land.

Something else to consider, aside from thickness of leather, is what size thread the machine will use. For heavier duty projects, you will want to use #277 or even #346. Smaller machines, wont do thick thread. In my opinion, thicker thread looks a lot better on items you were talking about sewing as well.

Always get more than you think you will need because at some point you will. I would highly recommend saving a bit more and getting the 3500. It will sew just about anything you will throw at it and there is the accessory table that you can purchase when you need it.

I know it's not easy to wait a bit longer, but it will be worth it because you will not be in "whudda, shudda, . . . " land.

I don't disagree with you, but i am so tired of hand sewing. There is about 700 price jump. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a used 3500.

I don't disagree with you, but i am so tired of hand sewing. There is about 700 price jump. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a used 3500.

The shipping also gets more expensive when you get bigger machines.

The shipping also gets more expensive when you get bigger machines.

I looked at the Tippman Boss today and it has great thickness sewing capacity at my budget point but I am not sure i want to work the handle while sewing. I have some experience sewing but pretty new to leather. I am thinking it would be awkward with the boss.

I looked at the Tippman Boss today and it has great thickness sewing capacity at my budget point but I am not sure i want to work the handle while sewing. I have some experience sewing but pretty new to leather. I am thinking it would be awkward with the boss.

Be sure to search for reviews and problems with the Tippman Boss. I decided against one after reading all the bad reviews online. Some folks swear by them, but I have seen a lot of bad reviews.

Be sure to search for reviews and problems with the Tippman Boss. I decided against one after reading all the bad reviews online. Some folks swear by them, but I have seen a lot of bad reviews.

Ok, yea i done that this evening. I read alot of reviews on the boss. I am back to thinking the cowboy 3200. Uses 416 thread.

Take your time and keep watching the used sewing machine section- there are quite often individuals selling machines like the cowboy 3500, and cobra 3 or 4's either because they no longer use them or want to move up- can get some good deals on used equipment if you are patient