DavidL

Sealing/ Finishing Leather? (Hot Plate, Friction Burnishing W/ Glass )

Does any one have information on hot plate/ hot roller used for sealing the dye and spray finish or sealing waxes, fats and oils. Its my understanding that this is used to permanently bind the finish and dyes into the leather to prevent the dye from bleeding. Plus the shine it creates that wont otherwise wouldn't be there.

Another piece of equipment that I'm looking for information on is a friction burnisher that is used for alligator skin. It is used also on shell cordovan from horween does anyone know if they are used on veg tan leather together with hot plate/ hot roller or a replacement of that.

The old fashion way referenced from valerie michael's book is using a piece of boxwood to burnish the grain side.

The one site I know of selling machinery for leather working is Campbell randall that I sent an email to waiting for a response. Other suppliers of these machines would help.

Does any one have information on hot plate/ hot roller used for sealing the dye and spray finish or sealing waxes, fats and oils. Its my understanding that this is used to permanently bind the finish and dyes into the leather to prevent the dye from bleeding. Plus the shine it creates that wont otherwise wouldn't be there.

Another piece of equipment that I'm looking for information on is a friction burnisher that is used for alligator skin. It is used also on shell cordovan from horween does anyone know if they are used on veg tan leather together with hot plate/ hot roller or a replacement of that.

The old fashion way referenced from valerie michael's book is using a piece of boxwood to burnish the grain side.

The one site I know of selling machinery for leather working is Campbell randall that I sent an email to waiting for a response. Other suppliers of these machines would help.

Hey I don't know too much about this area of leatherwork, but you may find the video helpful....

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10150131553076948&set=vb.182186731147&type=3&theater

Peter uses a tool called a fileteuse.......he says u can buy it here:

http://www.mando.fr/

Edited by thekid77

Hey I don't know too much about this area of leatherwork, but you may find the video helpful....

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10150131553076948&set=vb.182186731147&type=3&theater

Peter uses a tool called a fileteuse.......he says u can buy it here:

http://www.mando.fr/

Peter nitz is truly masterful. Im looking for grain/flesh burnishing though but thanks anyways.

The machine I'm looking for, I now understand is a glazing jack w/ a glass tip. The other is a hot roller/ hot plate to further eliminate wrinkles in the leather and create a burnished grain the same way you can burnish an edge as far as I understand. Both for the face side or flesh side of the leather. Im not looking to buy these machinery as it will likely cost tens of thousands of dollars.

Im trying to figure out if there is a way to get a similar common tool that can do these actions on smaller pieces to a burnished finish especially on finishes of wax, tallow and oil that can bleed dye easily in my testings. The only tool that was used back in the day is a boxwood slicker or glass slicker. The cheapest modern option is a hot plate for t shirt sublimation though or maybe an iron. Any articles would help.

post-34060-0-48749800-1424471340_thumb.p

Edited by DavidL