Roux

Casing, Stamping And Whether A Backing Is Needed On 4-5Oz

Hello friends, I have a couple questions if i may. I'm new to leather working, and i bought, for practice, some precut veg-tan wristbands from tandy. They are thin, 4-5 oz, and i have read in places that stamping thinner leather makes it stretch. I've read about using masking tape or something similar on the back.

Therefore, in my inexperience I ask, what is the best way to keep the thinner leather from stretching while being stamped? After casing properly that is. Or is it that before casing you already have attached something to the back? Perhaps this step is unnecessary altogether, which is why I am quite lost on whether to do it or not.

My nest question is the order in which to to these things, for example; would it be best to bevel the edges, groove or cut holes, before or after casing?

I'd like to add that the stamping I will be undertaking will be fairly simple, and will mostly consist of one larger stamp being used repeatedly along the length of the wristband

Thank you in advance for any help and feed back :)

Hi Roux,

Welcome to LWN, Here is the best place for you to explore for a leather experiences.

Molst of these people here, are forthcoming and generous with their experiences.

Firstly: Yes it is fair to say, The thinner the leather the more it stretches, just don't over think it.

You may stamp 4-5 oz. quite well, and you may use taped backing if you like

its a personal preference. some do, some don't !

I don't think it makes any difference if you tape before or after either, others may contend ?

As for the order of things, After casing yes,leather becomes more plyable,

but I like to edge and punch while dry. try it both ways to for yourself. Have fun with this craft.

I hope I have addressed your questions where you can understand wholy. -------- Wild Bill46

Welcome to the forum. By all means, you want to back your lower or lighter leathers. I know a few people who still back leather up to 7/8 ounce. You do not want to do all of the work only to find out your project stretched.

I use shelf liner paper that I buy at Wal-mart for under $2 bucks. I also use packaging tape as well. Though I have done it both ways, I had better results taping before wetting. I guess it is just personal preference.

Good luck and best of all....have fun!

If you tape before you wet the leather, you just have to watch out for the water penetrating too deeply and dissolving your tape's adhesive.

There's a ton of good advice in the pinned topics of this forum.

Tooling generally depends on compressing some of the thickness of the leather to make the pattern. So ! the thinner the leather the less it will tool. If you go thin you can push from the underside to make the tooling more 3D. To make the pattern last you can fill the back !!

Thank you all for your help and knowledge! I now have a better view of how to proceed with my project. Since these precut strips are thin enough, i can fit them on a strip of masking tape. However, with larger projects I will certainly undertake the shelf liner that has been suggested.

Thank you for the timely and welcoming replies, I believe I am going to greatly enjoy this community and learning this craft!