Handstitched

Blacksmith Bellows

G'day,

I may have a future task of restoring some blacksmith bellows.It will be my first set of black smith bellows, if I get the job.

I hope I do, as my profile does state 'challenging projects' .

I have done fire place bellows before , but this is way WAY different.

I don't have any pics to show you ( yet).

I have seen them. They are approx 100 years old, and the leather is in pretty poor shape.

They are in a local vintage machinery museum...and in a tight place to remove, so a few weeks advance notice is required, if all goes ahead.

I have only attached a sample pic. to give you some idea.

Has anyone restored and/or replaced the leather/s on blacksmith bellows?

The first thing I thought of doing, is take as many pics as possible from every angle before I even start, not just for a 'before, during & after' diary, but most importantly , as a reference to make sure everything goes back as it should.

No need to take apart all the wood or the nozzle, as I am only replacing the leather. But no doubt I will clean up the wood, sand down, stain or oil etc. give it a spruce up.

But any other advice, helpful hints tips etc. would be greatly appreciated , especially the removal of all the those domed nails. Keep & clean and re-use?

If I do get the job, it will be a good learning experience for me, and perhaps a 'step back in time' to see how they are constructed. I also hope to find a makers mark.

Thanks heaps

HS

post-7215-0-66257600-1426939878_thumb.jp

Are they looking to use the bellows, or just for show?

A special nail puller could easily be made to get under the heads, and save the originals.

I would be very sparing on any "sprucing up", as what makes antiques neat to see is the patina they get from decades of use. Otherwise it will just look like a new one with no history to show.

G'day and thank you for your reply

Knowing the owners of the museum, I would think that they would want them be a workable show piece,

but not to use in actual smithing.

But you're right about keeping the patina , too much 'love' is not always a good thing.

Keeping the original nails was my line of thinking as well.

I'm sure I have some old tools, or some scrap metal...somewhere, that I don't mind modifying for the job.

Thank you very much

HS

You can also look into this site. www.Iforgeiron.com. they have a bellows section, and several members down in OZ.