mircea

Hand Sewing Punch

Hi

Has anybody tried the hand sewin punch for two layers of 3-4 oz veg tan?

If so. What are the results? Does it work easily?

I know how to sew with awl but this time I want to be different...

Any opinion before I buy it?

Thanks!

If you're talking about the "Speedy stitcher" thing, save your money...the resulting stitches look like garbage, especially compared to a proper saddle stitch...

Nigel Armitage of Armitage leather has reviewed almost all of the available pricking irons/stitching chisels in great detail on youtube, and in articles here.

Do NOT buy that piece of junk...mine broke after using it three or four times. The part that punctures the leather broke out through the back of the tool...and I'm no arnold schwarzenegger....it broke with just normal pressure.

I understand tandy will replace their tools, but I don't have one nearby and it wouldn't be worth it to pay to ship it back...

Anyway, now that I know which tool you're talking about, it is poorly made and mine is broken after only a handful of uses. The couple of times I used it before it broke, it did make decent, tiny holes.

Edited by 25b

That tool is for sewing very thin and fine leathers - as in garment weight leathers.

Stick to your awl or get a small spring punch or a small wad punch.

3oz is not thick. There's no way it should have broken. This is a poorly-made device (won't insult other tools by calling it a "tool"...)

I have one, use it fairly often. Works great and I have not been easy on it. It does not work on thick leather, the thinner the better.

Thanks for the replies.

What I work with is 3 oz.

I think I am going to buy one because I am so curious. I work with .63mm linen thread and with awl goes ok, but the smallest hole I can make with my tools is 1.5mm in diameter which is huge for the thread.

I saw two diff types of punches on ebay: the tandy that has holes from 1mm and up and another one from "beads" smth that goes from 0.6mm and up. I will search for the other one and show you.