Woodsy

H.f. Osborne Round Knife

I just acquired a H.F. Osborne round knife. The blade is 6.25" I am familiar with Osborne knives but not H.F. Osborne. Does anyone have a ball park date of mfg. Or current value. The knife is in good condition and I will be using it for my work. It appears to be high quality steel with what appears to be a rosewood handle.

From http://brucejohnsonleather.com/links-resources/leather-tool-makers-history/ :

HF Osborne - started in the tool business with his brother CS Osborne. In 1877 or so he left and established his own company. In 1905 he sold his business to CS Osborne.

HF. Osborne made very good round knifes. I have a small 4 1/4" in my collection and its my favorite right now, has been for awhile. Stiff good steel and a wide flattened handle, just made for my hand. I most confess that the US made (+100 years old) knifes are in general better than the Europeans ones. Then I speak for my self, my own knifes and the ones I have tried. I have about 20 old ones and a couple of new ones now, US and European. I find the HF made ones a bit better than the CS Osb. Newark stamped knifes, but not very much better. In my opinion the old CS Newark and early Harrison "bolo and brass" are the best round knifes for the money right now. Its been like that for some time now, I think thats because there are so many still around. Compared to other knifes they should be priced higher, (I am not complaining). I do not like todays knifes made from sheet steel, they do not measure up. Perhaps some custom made knifes do, but then you got to pay for them too.

Please post a pic of your knife, its perhaps an other style of blade on it.

Thanks

Tor

post-10237-0-29880900-1428448892_thumb.j

Not sure how to post the pic

Select "more reply option" button in the text editor. Than follow the instructions given, browse your computer to select the picture you want. Make sure the file is not any bigger than about 500 kb, or else it will come out to big.

It says my file is to large to upload. Not to good with these things, don't know how to reduce the file size.

If you use windows.

To scale/resize my pics down I use windows photo gallery (that automatically comes up when I click on one of my pic, I`m using Windows Vista still). Then select the email sending option (top menu bar), then you will be given the option to scale the pic down in %. When the pic is attached in the new email, I just copy it back to the folder with a new name and close the new email.... done. There are resize programs for download too, but this are already available for windows users.

Edited by Trox

I'm doing this with my Droid, so I don't know if I can change the file size. I tried cropping but that didn't help.

Mine looks just like your pic but the blade measures 6.25" at the widest point

On my android Samsung phone I use a program called resize me pro from XnView. You can do allot of stuff in it, but most important select the size you want to save the pic in. Its free from Google play

I'll have to work on that. Probably when one of the kids are here to help.lol

Trox I posted it to the leather worker Facebook page. Maybe you can find it there

Yes, its a common problem here on LW, you got to keep your pic small. I can upload unlimited amount of files and single file size up to 128 Mb because of my LW membership. Anyway, pics larger than 500 kb will turn up bigger than the site and not easy to view at all. Next time you take a picture with your phone or camera, select a small resolution. Most phones and tablets will resize them self when you select sharing with email or sms too. Email standards are about what works well on LW.

I would love to see you knife .

Later anyway.

Thanks

Tor

Trox I posted it to the leather worker Facebook page. Maybe you can find it there

Thank you, but I am not a member of Facebook or other social medias. I use enough time on LW as it is, no time for anything else. Here you can learn something useful, I do not know what to learn from Facebook. Part from being a hipster, learning urban terms, being politically correct and such :)

Tor

The facebook icon happens to be right here below this reply box. I assumed members of this site used it.that's why I posted there. At my age I don't need to be hip. I was just trying to find a way to post the pic

Sorry just a joke, and it is here like everywhere else many that use facebook. What I meant was that it is very time consuming, but of course important to keep in contact with friends and family. For that purpose I guess I have to sign up soon too.

Yes, its a common problem here on LW, you got to keep your pic small. I can upload unlimited amount of files and single file size up to 128 Mb because of my LW membership. Anyway, pics larger than 500 kb will turn up bigger than the site and not easy to view at all. Next time you take a picture with your phone or camera, select a small resolution. Most phones and tablets will resize them self when you select sharing with email or sms too. Email standards are about what works well on LW.

I would love to see you knife .

Later anyway.

Thanks

Tor

I take an additional shortcut, and email myself the pic because phones usually automatically give you the option to downsize the image for email. The received email contain my reduced resolution photos ready to go. Also keeps a copy of all the pics i post in my email if i need em.

I generally like the HF Osborne knives as well. It all comes down to condition for value. I sell the better ones up to $180. I'd like to see a picture too!

Hi Bruce, I would like to show it but I'm unable to post the pic due to size. Unfortunately I'm not computer savvy. The best I can do is describe it. It appears to be a rosewood handle with a brass Ferrell, the blade is 6.25" and in good condition. It has 100 years of patina on the steel but it has the ring (sound) of quality steel. After sharpening it has taken an excellent edge.