Redhairing

How To Make A Double Sided Strap....?

Newbie here making a 1" wide handbag strap out of 4oz. english bridle leather....have my strap cutter, double sided tape, and saddle stitching supplies ready to go but I'm scratching my head over how the edges will possibly line up when I'm finished stitching. Should I cut one side of the strap slightly wider and trim to the one inch side of the strap after stitching? any advise would be appreciated!

You can do that.

I would contact cement the two together.

Put the cement on each half, let it dry, put wax paper between the two, line them up and pull the paper out slowly while lining up the two halves.

I don't know if your English Bridle leather will mark but you can test a small piece.

Take a wide piece of masking tape stuck to the good side and beyond the edge of the leather strap, lay that down on something solid with the sticky edges of the tape up and then take two more strips of masking tape and with tape to tape secure the bottom strap.

This will keep the bottom strap stretched out so all you have to fiddle with is the top strap.

If this won't work for you then tape across the bottom strap all the way down with strips of masking tape removing them as you progress with attaching the top strap but before doing this test to make sure the masking tape will release from the dried contact cement.

Thank you Tree Reaper- Great common sense approaches! I will experiment this weekend with your techniques and I thank you very much!

You're welcome.

The method I use for lining belts is to stretch the leather the length of a board, pull a few inches of each end of the belt over each end of the board and then staple the leather to the bottom of the board.

This keeps it tight for not only gluing but tight for laying the top lining layer down as well.

You have a few options now so good luck.