terrypen

Homemade Splitter?

Has anyone tried making a home made splitter using a wood plane knife? I've seen some on youtube but most of them are small like a razor blade wide. I would like one that would do 4 or 5 inch wide leather.

I have done something with a block planer blade, but it doesn't quite make it to being called a "splitter". The splitter needs to have a pretty specific angle, and while I got close, my attempt fell short at being able to maintain the correct angle against the forces involved. I'm NOT saying it can't be done, but offering the insight that the established bench top splitter designs can be found at decent prices....and that those prices come REALLY close to 'even' when you consider time and fabrication costs.

Agree with Twinoaks, bench splitters aren't overly expensive. One note, if you're wanting to split 5" wide leather, you really want to think about a crank splitter. Pulling a 5" wide strap through a splitter isn't child's play, hard to hold and pull, etc. The one I have I use to skive belts in the buckle area, I keep it set right where I want it and keep it sharp. I can pull a 2-1/2" strap through but it's a little hard, I normally pull 1-1/2" belts through and it's a snap. Just my opinion, younger folks might be able to pull wide straps through, not me.

Chief

Thanks Mike and Chief!

I was wondering about the 5 inch thing... I am on such a limited budget right now that a real splitter seems so far away!!!

That's where I was when I tried making mine. IMO, it's far less costly to just save up for an actual splitter