Jon P

Harley Fairing

Had a request from a friend to cover his Harley's front fairing in leather. With several curves, it posed a challenge. What do y'all think?

post-48531-0-81853800-1432600913_thumb.j

post-48531-0-02460800-1432600978_thumb.j

post-48531-0-57616700-1432600993_thumb.j

damn! now that's original! how are you gonna keep it from the elements? love it though! love to see the updates after it's on the bike.

Thanks Twisted! I mink oiled the crap out of it. Told the guy to do that regularly and he understood the risks of the elements. I'll get pics of it on the bike and post them. Now, he wants the lids to the fiberglass saddlebags covered...

And then a tank bib to keep the flow. looks good. bet that was a challenge.

My first question would be "why"? (I have trouble cleaning the bugs off of the stock fairing!)

But I suppose its not that big of a deal- I had (still have) leather covered bags off of a 2004 Road King Custom-they held up and cleaned up well...

Second- How did you attach the leather to the fairing?

Very cool- Smooth job! Unique and original...

@MidWestIslander

Thanks for the comment! Yes, I was a challenge. The toughest part was getting one side to stay while I worked on the other. But, It wasn't as bad as I originally thought.

@eglideride

To answer the first question "why"?- He wanted to be different. He saw the stingray/leather bike I did (my avatar) and wanted something done to his bike that was out of the ordinary. Bugs? Well, we will see. He understands the risk and said he wanted to try it anyway... I attacked the leather by strategically gluing places on the face of the fairing. I then wrapped the leather around the edges and glued it to the back side. The fairing "clam shells" together and aids holding it together. Also, the windshield bolts help at the top. Thanks for your questions/positive comments!!