Please folks, tell me what you think. Also, why would the leather wrinkle like it did?

post-62122-0-28626100-1433775700_thumb.j

post-62122-0-94922500-1433775728_thumb.j

post-62122-0-66470200-1433775787_thumb.j

post-62122-0-73107000-1433778881_thumb.j

Overall it looks like you did pretty good work. It may be the picture but the are between the grip and top of holster looks a little tight for getting your fingers in for a good grip, again it might just be the angle of the picture.

As to the wrinkles, 2 questions. Is it Tandy leather? What part of the side or shoulder did you cut it from? it looks like it may be belly or neck.

Thank you so much for your critique. As to the leather, I picked up from Hobby lobby it was prepackaged 4–5 ounce veg tan tooling leather. I also lined it with a piece of suede about the same thickness. To form it I dipped it in warm water for about 15 seconds.

I truly think that the wrinkles are from the leather that was used. You can get that type of wrinkling from belly and neck leather. When I do holster I use shoulder or back. You will get a very stiff holster and less likely hood of wrinkling to the extent you are showing there.

I agree with the observation that it is a result of the leather used. Could be from a belly. But 4/5 is pretty light for use in a holster of this style, and the suede lining won't help much with strength or rigidity.

The leather usually found in hobby shops is probably imported. Tanning methods are unknown and may be questionable (tanning leather with urine and feces is still pretty common in much of the world).

I use 7/8 oz. for most holster work. Lined holsters are usually made of 6/7 with a lining of 2.5 to 3 oz. I recommend the products of Wickett & Craig and Hermann Oak tanneries. Both old-line US companies with excellent reputations for vegetable-tanned cowhide. For those wanting relatively small quantities I recommend Springfield Leather Company (see banner ads) where Hermann Oak veg-tan can be purchased by the square foot rather than full sides or shoulders. The difference in cost for a holster is pretty small, and since labor is the major factor in holster making using good quality leather will save a lot of time and frustration.

This is good information from both of you; I really appreciate your help. I have used Springfield leather purchasing a Herman oak piece 8 to 9 ounce which worked great I will stick to that; again thanks to both of you!!